What do I need to know before moving to Tanzania?
When we asked people what advice they would give someone preparing to move to Tanzania, they said...
"Tanzania is a beautiful and diverse country with a rich culture and history. Expats should be aware that the official language is Swahili, although English is widely spoken in urban areas. It is important to research the local laws and customs before moving to Tanzania, as there are certain restrictions on certain activities. Expats should also be aware that the cost of living in Tanzania is generally lower than in other countries, but that the quality of goods and services may not be as high. Additionally, expats should be aware that the healthcare system in Tanzania is not as advanced as in other countries, and that medical insurance is highly recommended. Finally, expats should be aware that the climate in Tanzania can be quite hot and humid, and that the rainy season can bring heavy rains and flooding," wrote a member who made the move to Tanzania.
"Too many things to say... Have Good Security Check for Problems with Water Make sure the house can get internet in your area if this is important to you Sometimes it is expected you pay 3, 6, or 12 months in advance. Make sure you are clear with your landlord who is going to pay for things if/when they break, (water pipes, door handles, sink faucets, etc. ) Email me for details if you really whan't to know more... Bonnie at [email protected]," explained one expat living in Arusha, Tanzania.
- What do I need to know before moving to Tanzania?
- How do I find a place to live in Tanzania?
- What is a typical expat home or apartment like in Tanzania?
- What is the average cost of housing in Tanzania?
- Should I buy or rent a home in Tanzania?
- What should I pack when moving to Tanzania?
- What cultural faux pas should I try to avoid making in Tanzania?
- Why do people move to Tanzania?
- What are healthcare services like in Tanzania?
- What are medical services in Tanzania like?
- What are typical rents in Tanzania?
- What appliances are typically included in a rental?
What do I need to know before moving to Tanzania?If you live in Tanzania, newcomers to Tanzania would love to hear your answer to this question.
About the Author
Joshua Wood, LPC joined Expat Exchange in 2000 and serves as one of its Co-Presidents. He is also one of the Founders of Digital Nomad Exchange. Prior to Expat Exchange, Joshua worked for NBC Cable (MSNBC and CNBC Primetime). Joshua has a BA from Syracuse and a Master's in Clinical and Counseling Psychology from Fairleigh Dickinson University. Mr. Wood is also a licensed counselor and psychotherapist.