What do I need to know before moving to Scotland?
When we asked people what advice they would give someone preparing to move to Scotland, they said...
"Expats should be aware that Scotland has its own distinct culture and language. It is important to familiarise yourself with the local customs and language before moving to Scotland. Additionally, expats should research the cost of living in Scotland, as it can vary significantly depending on the area. It is also important to consider the weather in Scotland, as it can be quite cold and wet. Finally, expats should research the job market in Scotland, as it can be difficult to find employment in certain areas," explained one expat living in Scotland.
Quickly and easily find trusted moving, insurance, relocation and other providers with Expat Exchange's Moving Planner. Select which of our trusted partners you would like to hear from and we'll do the rest.
Get Started Now
"Cannot advise on that since I am still in mid-process. The spousal visa requirements are rugged and non-refundable so am tasking this very slow so I do not end up 'donating' a pile of cash to the UK government," said another expat in Aberchirder, Scotland.
Please login to continue reading this article.
Not a member? Join Today (it's free).
- What should I pack when moving to Scotland?
- Where should I setup a bank account in Scotland?
- Will I be able to find a job in Scotland?
- What is life like in Scotland?
- What do expats in Scotland appreciate most about the local culture?
- What do expats find most challenging?
- Is there a lot of crime in Scotland?
- Is there a lot of diversity? Are people in Scotland accepting of differences?
- What are the schools in Scotland like?
- What are healthcare services like in Scotland?
- What are medical services in Scotland like?
- Are healthcare and health insurance expensive in Scotland?
- What are emergency services like in Scotland?
- Will I need to travel to see a specialist?
- Are common prescription medications available in Scotland?
- How are local medical facilities in Scotland?
- As a foreigner living in Scotland, will I have access to public healthcare? What is it like?
- What have your experiences during the pandemic with the local healthcare system been like?
What do I need to know before moving to Scotland?If you live in Scotland, newcomers to Scotland would love to hear your answer to this question.