What do I need to know before moving to Austria?
When we asked people what advice they would give someone preparing to move to Austria, they said...
"Before moving to Austria, it is important to research the cost of living and make sure you can afford it. It is also important to learn about the laws and regulations related to work, residency, and immigration. Additionally, you should research and understand the language, culture, and customs of Austria. You should also be sure to have a valid passport and any necessary visas before travelling to Austria. Finally, it is important to look into health insurance and any other necessary paperwork before you move," remarked another expat who made the move to Austria.
"Prepare to learn this language, and this slang. Go to the district office for help in finding a place, but do this as soon as possible, also look in the paper, or go to virtual vienna site, there is alot of help there," explained one expat living in Graz, Austria.
- What do I need to know before moving to Austria?
- How do I find a place to live in Austria?
- What is a typical expat home or apartment like in Austria?
- What is the average cost of housing in Austria?
- Should I buy or rent a home in Austria?
- What should I pack when moving to Austria?
- What cultural faux pas should I try to avoid making in Austria?
- Why do people move to Austria?
- What are healthcare services like in Austria?
- What are medical services in Austria like?
- What are typical rents in Austria?
- What appliances are typically included in a rental?
What do I need to know before moving to Austria?If you live in Austria, newcomers to Austria would love to hear your answer to this question.
About the Author
Betsy Burlingame is the Founder and President of Expat Exchange and is one of the Founders of Digital Nomad Exchange. She launched Expat Exchange in 1997 as her Master's thesis project at NYU. Prior to Expat Exchange, Betsy worked at AT&T in International and Mass Market Marketing. She graduated from Ohio Wesleyan University with a BA in International Business and German.
Some of Betsy's articles include 12 Best Places to Live in Portugal, 7 Best Places to Live in Panama and 12 Things to Know Before Moving to the Dominican Republic. Betsy loves to travel and spend time with her family. Connect with Betsy on LinkedIn.