What do I need to know before moving to Canada?
When we asked people what advice they would give someone preparing to move to Canada, they said...
"Expats should research the areas they wish to move to before committing to a location in Canada, as they may find they are better suited to living in cities, suburbs or rural areas. It is recommended that they learn some basic French, as Quebec and parts of New Brunswick are officially bilingual. Depending on the area they are moving to, research must be done on appropriate housing and cost of living. Expats should also become familiar with Canadian culture and customs to ensure a smooth transition. Additionally, finding a job prior to arrival should be considered as Canada's job market can be competitive. Finally, research should be done to ensure that all necessary documents and paperwork are handled prior to the move," mentioned another expat when asked about moving to Canada.
"Where you move to will depend on your work. Visit first and decide which localities you like that might offer the type of employment you are engaged in. Then go job hunting or start your business. If the latter, make sure there is enough of a market to provide your business with critical mass. Too many people move to the gulf islands, stay a year then move out because they find they can't earn a living," commented one expat who made the move to Vancouver, Canada.
- What do I need to know before moving to Canada?
- How do I find a place to live in Canada?
- What is a typical expat home or apartment like in Canada?
- What is the average cost of housing in Canada?
- Should I buy or rent a home in Canada?
- What should I pack when moving to Canada?
- What cultural faux pas should I try to avoid making in Canada?
- Why do people move to Canada?
- What are healthcare services like in Canada?
- What are medical services in Canada like?
- What are typical rents in Canada?
- What appliances are typically included in a rental?
What do I need to know before moving to Canada?If you live in Canada, newcomers to Canada would love to hear your answer to this question.
About the Author
Betsy Burlingame is the Founder and President of Expat Exchange and is one of the Founders of Digital Nomad Exchange. She launched Expat Exchange in 1997 as her Master's thesis project at NYU. Prior to Expat Exchange, Betsy worked at AT&T in International and Mass Market Marketing. She graduated from Ohio Wesleyan University with a BA in International Business and German.
Some of Betsy's articles include 12 Best Places to Live in Portugal, 7 Best Places to Live in Panama and 12 Things to Know Before Moving to the Dominican Republic. Betsy loves to travel and spend time with her family. Connect with Betsy on LinkedIn.