What do I need to know before moving to Denmark?
When we asked people what advice they would give someone preparing to move to Denmark, they said...
"Denmark is a great place to live, but there are a few things expats should be aware of before moving. It is important to research the cost of living in Denmark, as it is one of the most expensive countries in Europe. Expats should also be aware of the language barrier, as Danish is the official language of the country. It is also important to research the job market in Denmark, as the unemployment rate is relatively low. Additionally, expats should be aware of the weather in Denmark, as it can be quite cold and wet during the winter months. Finally, expats should be aware of the cultural norms in Denmark, as there are certain expectations of behavior and etiquette that should be followed," wrote a member who made the move to Denmark.
"Plan first where you need to be -- work and schools -- and chose someplace that is very close to that area. Expect to live in an apartment and not a home unless you have a very large budget for housing expenses. CIS and Rygaards are the only international schools I would recommend in any way. When setting a budget, double or triple it. And, lastly, rent through a rent manager and NOT directly with a home owner. You will have major problems when moving out. I've heard many nightmare stories and ours was bad but not as bad as others," explained one expat living in Copenhagen, Denmark.
- What do I need to know before moving to Denmark?
- How do I find a place to live in Denmark?
- What is a typical expat home or apartment like in Denmark?
- What is the average cost of housing in Denmark?
- Should I buy or rent a home in Denmark?
- What should I pack when moving to Denmark?
- What cultural faux pas should I try to avoid making in Denmark?
- Why do people move to Denmark?
- What are healthcare services like in Denmark?
- What are medical services in Denmark like?
- What are typical rents in Denmark?
- What appliances are typically included in a rental?
What do I need to know before moving to Denmark?If you live in Denmark, newcomers to Denmark would love to hear your answer to this question.
About the Author
Joshua Wood, LPC joined Expat Exchange in 2000 and serves as one of its Co-Presidents. He is also one of the Founders of Digital Nomad Exchange. Prior to Expat Exchange, Joshua worked for NBC Cable (MSNBC and CNBC Primetime). Joshua has a BA from Syracuse and a Master's in Clinical and Counseling Psychology from Fairleigh Dickinson University. Mr. Wood is also a licensed counselor and psychotherapist.