How are healthcare services in Hungary?
When we asked expats and global nomads about the quality of medical care in Hungary, they replied...
"Healthcare services in Hungary are provided by both public and private institutions. The public healthcare system is funded by the government and is available to all citizens and foreign residents. The quality of public healthcare is generally good, with a wide range of services available, including primary care, specialist care, hospital care, and preventive care. Expats in Hungary can use the public healthcare system, but they must first register with the local government office and obtain a health insurance card. This card allows them to access the public healthcare system and receive the same level of care as Hungarian citizens. Expats can also opt to use private healthcare services, which are often more expensive but may offer more comprehensive coverage," mentioned another expat when asked about moving to Hungary.
"Ask what the capabilities are. Ask for costs up front. If possible don't ask for a "formal bill" as this will increase your out of pocket substantially," commented one expat who made the move to Fonyod, Hungary.
- What should I pack when moving to Hungary?
- Where should I setup a bank account in Hungary?
- Will I be able to find a job in Hungary?
- What is life like in Hungary?
- What do expats in Hungary appreciate most about the local culture?
- What do expats find most challenging?
- Is there a lot of crime in Hungary?
- Is there a lot of diversity? Are people in Hungary accepting of differences?
- What are the schools in Hungary like?
- What are healthcare services like in Hungary?
- What are medical services in Hungary like?
- Are healthcare and health insurance expensive in Hungary?
- What are emergency services like in Hungary?
- Will I need to travel to see a specialist?
- Are common prescription medications available in Hungary?
- How are local medical facilities in Hungary?
- As a foreigner living in Hungary, will I have access to public healthcare? What is it like?
- What have your experiences during the pandemic with the local healthcare system been like?
How are healthcare services in Hungary?If you live in Hungary, newcomers to Hungary would love to hear your answer to this question:
About the Author
Betsy Burlingame is the Founder and President of Expat Exchange and is one of the Founders of Digital Nomad Exchange. She launched Expat Exchange in 1997 as her Master's thesis project at NYU. Prior to Expat Exchange, Betsy worked at AT&T in International and Mass Market Marketing. She graduated from Ohio Wesleyan University with a BA in International Business and German.
Some of Betsy's articles include 12 Best Places to Live in Portugal, 7 Best Places to Live in Panama and 12 Things to Know Before Moving to the Dominican Republic. Betsy loves to travel and spend time with her family. Connect with Betsy on LinkedIn.