Are healthcare and health insurance expensive in Japan?
When we asked expats in Japan if healthcare and health insurance are expensive in Japan, they wrote...
"Healthcare and health insurance in Japan can be expensive, depending on the type of coverage and services needed. Generally, the cost of healthcare in Japan is higher than in many other countries due to the high quality of care and the advanced technology used. Health insurance premiums can also be costly, but the government subsidizes a portion of the cost for those who qualify. Additionally, many employers offer health insurance plans to their employees, which can help to reduce the cost," said another expat in Japan.
"My experience is that the national health insurance is great and easy to enroll in and easy to use. The insurance is reasonably priced and covers 70% of most medical needs. I have not had a problem with the healthcare system yet. I make sure to find an establishment that provides English support and everything is much smoother for me," wrote a member who made the move to Tokyo, Japan.
- What should I pack when moving to Japan?
- Where should I setup a bank account in Japan?
- Will I be able to find a job in Japan?
- What is life like in Japan?
- What do expats in Japan appreciate most about the local culture?
- What do expats find most challenging?
- Is there a lot of crime in Japan?
- Is there a lot of diversity? Are people in Japan accepting of differences?
- What are the schools in Japan like?
- What are healthcare services like in Japan?
- What are medical services in Japan like?
- Are healthcare and health insurance expensive in Japan?
- What are emergency services like in Japan?
- Will I need to travel to see a specialist?
- Are common prescription medications available in Japan?
- How are local medical facilities in Japan?
- As a foreigner living in Japan, will I have access to public healthcare? What is it like?
- What have your experiences during the pandemic with the local healthcare system been like?
Are healthcare and health insurance expensive in Japan?If you live in Japan, newcomers to Japan would love to hear your answer to this question: