What do I need to know when buying property in Belize?
When we asked expats what advice they would give a foreigner before buying a property in Belize, they said...
"When buying property in Belize, it is important to research the market thoroughly before making a purchase. It is important to ensure that you are working with a reputable real estate agent and lawyer to guide you through the property purchase process. Additionally, Belize real estate is sold on a 'fee simple ownership' basis and foreign buyers are required to obtain an 'Alien Landholding License' to purchase property. It is also important to note that some areas of Belize are only available to a limited number of applicants due to restrictions on foreign ownership. As such, prospective buyers may encounter a lengthy application process. Lastly, it is vital to be aware that some areas may have restrictions on the types of development allowed on the property," remarked another expat who made the move to Belize.
"Get a long term rental so you have plenty of time to check out properties, locations, and prices. It's helpful to talk to other foreigners who have moved also," explained one expat living in Sittee River, Belize.
AGS Worldwide Movers can move you to and from anywhere in the world. Presently the AGS Group has over 141 locations in more than 95 countries and has one of the largest networks in the international removals industry. We relocate 85,000 families every year. Free moving quote!
Get a Quote
- What should I pack when moving to Belize?
- Where should I setup a bank account in Belize?
- Will I be able to find a job in Belize?
- What is life like in Belize?
- What do expats in Belize appreciate most about the local culture?
- What do expats find most challenging?
- Is there a lot of crime in Belize?
- Is there a lot of diversity? Are people in Belize accepting of differences?
- What are the schools in Belize like?
- What are healthcare services like in Belize?
- What are medical services in Belize like?
- Are healthcare and health insurance expensive in Belize?
- What are emergency services like in Belize?
- Will I need to travel to see a specialist?
- Are common prescription medications available in Belize?
- How are local medical facilities in Belize?
- As a foreigner living in Belize, will I have access to public healthcare? What is it like?
- What have your experiences during the pandemic with the local healthcare system been like?
What do I need to know when buying property in Belize?If you live in Belize, newcomers to Belize would love to hear your answer to this question:
About the Author
Betsy Burlingame is the Founder and President of Expat Exchange and is one of the Founders of Digital Nomad Exchange. She launched Expat Exchange in 1997 as her Master's thesis project at NYU. Prior to Expat Exchange, Betsy worked at AT&T in International and Mass Market Marketing. She graduated from Ohio Wesleyan University with a BA in International Business and German.
Some of Betsy's articles include 12 Best Places to Live in Portugal, 7 Best Places to Live in Panama and 12 Things to Know Before Moving to the Dominican Republic. Betsy loves to travel and spend time with her family. Connect with Betsy on LinkedIn.