Is the cost of living in Portugal high?
We asked people about the cost of living in Portugal, they wrote...
"The cost of living in Portugal is higher than other countries in Europe but still quite affordable. It is slightly more expensive to live in big cities such as Lisbon or Porto, as rent and basic goods tend to be more expensive than in smaller towns or rural locations. On average, a nice 1 bedroom apartment in a central area of a major city in Portugal can be around $800-1000 USD per month. A nice 2 bedroom apartment in the same area could expectancy be closer to $1000-1300 USD monthly. Eating dinner out in a moderately priced restaurant is quite affordable compared to major cities worldwide, with a dinner for two typically costing around 25 USD," commented one expat who made the move to Portugal.
- What should I pack when moving to Portugal?
- Where should I setup a bank account in Portugal?
- Will I be able to find a job in Portugal?
- What is life like in Portugal?
- What do expats in Portugal appreciate most about the local culture?
- What do expats find most challenging?
- Is there a lot of crime in Portugal?
- Is there a lot of diversity? Are people in Portugal accepting of differences?
- What are the schools in Portugal like?
- What are healthcare services like in Portugal?
- What are medical services in Portugal like?
- Are healthcare and health insurance expensive in Portugal?
- What are emergency services like in Portugal?
- Will I need to travel to see a specialist?
- Are common prescription medications available in Portugal?
- How are local medical facilities in Portugal?
- As a foreigner living in Portugal, will I have access to public healthcare? What is it like?
- What have your experiences during the pandemic with the local healthcare system been like?
Is the cost of living in Portugal high?If you live in Portugal, newcomers to Portugal would love to hear your answer to this question:
About the Author
Betsy Burlingame is the Founder and President of Expat Exchange and is one of the Founders of Digital Nomad Exchange. She launched Expat Exchange in 1997 as her Master's thesis project at NYU. Prior to Expat Exchange, Betsy worked at AT&T in International and Mass Market Marketing. She graduated from Ohio Wesleyan University with a BA in International Business and German.
Some of Betsy's articles include 12 Best Places to Live in Portugal, 7 Best Places to Live in Panama and 12 Things to Know Before Moving to the Dominican Republic. Betsy loves to travel and spend time with her family. Connect with Betsy on LinkedIn.