Comoros Travel Warning
Issued by US Department of State
Mar 21, 2019
Exercise increased caution in The Union of the Comoros due to the upcoming presidential election.
Comoros will hold elections on March 24, 2019, and April 21, 2019, if a run-off election is warranted. Travel within Comoros may be disrupted during these times by roadblocks and political demonstrations. From March 21-March 26, U.S. government personnel will be permitted to travel to the islands of Anjouan and Moheli for pre-approved official purposes only.
The U.S. government has limited ability to provide emergency services to U.S. citizens in the Union of the Comoros.
Read the Safety and Security section on the Country Information page.
If you decide to travel to Comoros:
- Stay away from political rallies, demonstrations, and crowds.
- Monitor local media for breaking events and be prepared to adjust your plans.
- Be aware of your surroundings.
- Keep travel documents up to date and easily accessible.
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive Alerts and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
- Follow the Department of State on Facebook and Twitter.
- U.S. citizens who travel abroad should always have a contingency plan for emergency situations. Review the Traveler’s Checklist.
Last Update: Reissued with updates to the Risk Indicator, Level 3 area, and U.S. government restrictions on personnel.