Laos Travel Alert
Issued by US Department of State
Oct 05, 2016
The Department of State alerts U.S. citizens to the risks of travel in parts of Laos due to the unpredictable security situation. U.S. Embassy personnel are restricted from traveling in certain areas due to reports of violence, combined with the unusually heavy presence of Lao government security forces in some areas. This replaces the Travel Alert issued on July 1, 2016, and expires on December 30, 2016.
The U.S. Embassy in Vientiane continues to restrict Embassy staff from travel in the following areas:
- Road 13 from Km 220 north of Kasi in Vientiane Province to Km 270 at the Phou Khoun junction in Luang Prabang Province
- the “new road” from the Kasi junction to the Road 4 junction between Luang Prabang and Vang Vieng
- all of Xaisomboun Province
The Embassy continues to permit personnel to:
- travel between Vientiane and Vang Vieng on Road 13
- travel northward from Luang Prabang
- travel by air to Luang Prabang
U.S. citizens traveling to or residing in Laos should take precautions, remain vigilant about their personal security, and be alert to local security developments.