Spain Travel Warning
Issued by US Department of State
Dec 23, 2018
Event: U.S. citizens should exercise heightened caution around areas of vehicle movement, including buses, in the Las Ramblas area of Barcelona (Plaza Catalunya to Plaza del Portal de la Pau) during the Christmas and New Year’s holidays.
We remind U.S. citizens that Spain is currently at a Level 2 Travel Advisory: exercise increased caution due to terrorism. Terrorists may attack with little or no warning, targeting tourist locations, transportation hubs, and other public areas. U.S. citizens are reminded to remain vigilant with regard to their personal security.
Actions to Take:
- Avoid the area.
- Exercise additional vigilance at holiday festivals and events.
- Be aware of your surroundings.
- Stay alert in public places, including at churches, tourist locations, schools, hospitals, and on public and private transportation.
- Follow instructions and view updates from police and government authorities (see below).
- Review your personal security plans.
- Monitor local media for updates.
- Know how to use the local phone system. Dial “112” to reach emergency services throughout Spain. There is always an English-speaker on duty.
U.S. citizens may monitor English-language Spanish media at the following website:
View updates on Twitter and Facebook from the Spanish National Police, @policia, Guardia Civil @guardiacivil, Mossos D’Esquadra @mossos, and Guardia Urbana @barcelona_GUB
Mossos d’Esquadra (Regional Police)
Barcelona City Police