Burma (Myanmar) Travel Warning
Issued by U.S. Department of State
Mar 26, 2019
Exercise increased caution in Burma due to areas of civil unrest and armed conflict. Some areas have increased risk. Read the entire Travel Advisory.
Do not travel to:
- Buthidaung, Kyauktaw, Maungdaw, Minbya, Mrauk- U, Ponnagyun, and Rathedaung townships in Rakhine State due to civil unrest and armed conflict.
- Paletwa township in Chin State due to civil unrest and armed conflict
- Hpakan, Mansi, Momauk, Sumprabum, Tanai, and Waingmaw townships in Kachin State due to civil unrest and armed conflict.
- Hpapun township in Kayin State due to civil unrest.
- Konkyan, Kutkai, Kyaukme, Laukkaing, Matman, Mongmao, Muse, Namphan, Pangsang, and Pangwaun townships in Shan State due to civil unrest and armed conflict.
Reconsider travel to:
- Matupi township in Chin State due to civil unrest.
- Bhamo and Mogaung townships in Kachin State due to civil unrest.
- Hopang, Hseni, Hsipaw, Mongkaung, Namhsan, Namtu, and Nanhkan townships in Shan State due to civil unrest.
- Shadaw township in Kayah State due to civil unrest.
The following areas of Burma are subject to civil unrest and armed conflict due to fighting between the Burmese military and various ethnic armed groups and militia forces.
- Northern Shan State
- Parts of Kachin, Rakhine, and Chin States
- The Naga Self-Administered Zone in northern Sagaing Region
Conflict-affected areas, particularly Northern Shan State and parts of Kachin, Rakhine, and Chin States are subject to land mines and unexploded ordinance. Land mines and unexploded ordnance have injured foreign tourists in conflict affected areas and their locations are often not marked or otherwise identifiable.
Read the Safety and Security section on the Burma (Myanmar) country information page.
If you decide to travel to Burma:
Parts of Rakhine, Chin, Kachin, Kayah, Kayin, Sagaing, and Shan States
Some townships in the states listed above are subject to fighting between the Burmese military and armed insurgent groups. The level of risk varies significantly between townships and may change at any time:
The U.S. government has limited ability to provide emergency services to U.S. citizens in these townships as U.S. government employees must obtain special authorization to travel to these locations.
Review information on Travel to High-Risk Areas.
Last Update: Reissued with updates to Level 3 and 4 areas.