Obtaining a residency visa in Kenya is not always easy, but our Guide to Residency in Kenya gives newcomers an overview of the steps involved and advice from others who have already navigated the process.
- Gather the necessary documents for residency status in Kenya. These include:
- Valid passport
- Two passport-sized photographs
- Proof of address
- Proof of employment
- Proof of financial means
- Visit the Immigration Department in Kenya to apply for residency status. You will need to fill out an application form and submit the necessary documents.
- Pay the applicable fees for residency status.
- Wait for the Immigration Department to process your application. This can take up to several weeks.
- Once your application is approved, you will be issued a residency permit. This permit will need to be renewed every year.
- Apply for a Tax Number. This is required for all residents in Kenya.
- Visit the Kenya Revenue Authority website and fill out the online application form.
- Submit the application form along with the necessary documents, such as your passport and residency permit.
- Wait for the Kenya Revenue Authority to process your application. This can take up to several weeks.
- Once your application is approved, you will be issued a Tax Number.
What tips do expats have about residency and visas in Kenya?
“If you plan to stay in Kenya for an extended period of time, you will need to obtain a valid Kenyan visa. Depending on the length of your stay, you may need to apply for a residence permit. You will also need to provide proof of your identity, such as a passport, and proof of your financial means, such as a bank statement. Additionally, you may need to provide proof of your purpose for staying in Kenya, such as a letter from your employer or a letter of invitation from a Kenyan citizen,” said one expat living in Kenya.
“In order to visit Kenya, foreign nationals must obtain a visa prior to arrival. The process of applying for a visa involves submitting an application form, a valid passport, two passport-sized photographs, and the applicable visa fee. Depending on the purpose of the visit, additional documents may be required. In order to obtain residency in Kenya, foreign nationals must submit an application form, a valid passport, two passport-sized photographs, and the applicable fee. They must also provide proof of employment, proof of sufficient funds, and a valid residence permit. Depending on the purpose of the residency, additional documents may be required,” commented one member living in Kenya.