Home Chile Forum Chile Guide Moving to Chile Real Estate Healthcare in Chile
City Guides
Cigna International Health Insurance
JoinSign In
Cigna International Health Insurance

Chile Expat Forum

Can a Temporary Resident Change Communes?

Post New Topic
7/7/2019 23:10 EST

Once one receives temporary residency, do you need to stay in the same commune until you receive permanent residency? Or is it possible to move from one commune to another (say, from Valdivia to Linares)?

I read somewhere that there was a new law that one has to remain in the same general area while waiting on permanent residency, but I thought I should check. How could I find out for sure? Thanks.

Post a Reply


7/8/2019 01:16 EST

OK, I found the post. It was on another forum. The post was from 2016. It said that you have to wait in the same general area (meaning the same Extranjería office?) for a year, until you have permanent residency.

I think I am getting the terms all confused. If I understand correctly, Temporary Residency is 2-4 months, and Permanent Residency is 9-12 months? And then after 5 years you can apply for dual citizenship?

I guess the easy thing would be to ask the Extranjer'ia when I go to see them next week if I can transfer my file to Linares, or if I need to stay there for a year.

Post a Reply


Expatriate Health Insurance

Get a quote for expat health insurance in Chile.

International Moving Companies

Moving to Chile? Get a moving quote.

Mail Forwarding to Chile

Mail Forwarding to Chile.

Expat Tax

Expat Tax Preparation, Expat Tax Professionals

Join Today (free)

Join Expat Exchange to meet expats in your area or get advice before your move. It's FREE and takes 1 minute!

Chile Guide
Other Links
Our Story Our Team Contact Us Submit an Article Advertising Travel Warnings

Copyright 1997-2019 Burlingame Interactive, Inc.

Privacy Policy Legal