5 Tips for Living in Tokyo, Japan
Expats in Tokyo enjoy the capital city of Japan, which is a sprawling metropolitan area. Here are some tips to help expats navigate a relocation to one of the biggest economies in the world.
2023 Expat Guide to Living in Tokyo
Expats, digital nomads & retirees talk about what it's like living in Tokyo.
Talk with other digital nomads and expats in Tokyo on our Tokyo forum - meet people, get advice and help others.
Expats in Tokyo talk about the Pros & Cons of Living in Tokyo.
Expats offer insight into the cost of living in Tokyo.
Culture Shock in Tokyo, Japan
A woman who moved to Japan discusses the culture shock she experienced, learning the language, legal issues she faced and more.
Top 10 Tokyo Neighborhoods For Expats
Expats in Tokyo have several neighborhoods worth considering when they move abroad. Individual needs, such as proximity to work, international schools in Tokyo and other factors will help determine the best choice for each expat and expat family.
International Schools in Tokyo, Japan
Tokyo has many international schools and bi-lingual schools for expat students. Here are several of the more popular options.
Japan changed my life. This experience happened in the mid 1980s and I changed how I think and feel about things even today.
Expats in Tokyo talk about healthcare in Tokyo.
An Expat Exchange member talks about healthcare services, hospitals and health insurance in Tokyo.
What's the difference between Social Health Insurance and National Health Insurance in Japan? Are there some English-speaking doctors in good hospitals in Tokyo? What's a typical doctor visit like? An expat in Tokyo answers these questions and more.
Expats in Tokyo offer advice about Moving to Tokyo.
Retirees in Tokyo talk about life in Tokyo.
Expats offer advice about Buying & Renting Homes in Tokyo.
Podcasts about Tokyo
17 Years in Tokyo
We're excited to announce the launch of our new podcast, Let the Adventure Begin! (The Explorer Series), hosted by Josh Wood. In our first episode, Josh talks with an American expat who landed in Tokyo as a single 27-year-old bachelor, and left a married father 17 years later. To listen to our podcast, click on any of the podcast icons below. Or, search for the title, 17 Years in Tokyo, on one of these podcast apps. Subscribe to our podcast to be alerted to future episodes!
To listen, click on your preferred podcast app below:
Questions & Answers:
- What do I need to know before moving to Tokyo?
- How do I find a place to live in Tokyo?
- What is a typical expat home or apartment like in Tokyo?
- What is the average cost of housing in Tokyo?
- Should I buy or rent a home in Tokyo?
- What should I pack when moving to Tokyo?
- What cultural faux pas should I try to avoid making in Tokyo?
- What advice do you have for expats having a baby in Tokyo?
- What are healthcare services like in Tokyo?
- Is the cost of living in Tokyo high?
- Will I save money living in Tokyo?
- Why do people move to Tokyo?
- How are healthcare services Tokyo?
- What are medical services in Tokyo like?