Cost of Living in Brazil
Last updated on Apr 13, 2023
Summary: The cost of living in Brazil varies depending on the city and the lifestyle of the individual. Generally speaking, the cost of living in Brazil is considered to be relatively low compared to other countries. A nice 1 bedroom apartment in Brazil can cost anywhere from $500 to $1,500 per month, while a nice 2 bedroom apartment can cost anywhere from $800 to $2,500 per month. The cost of dinner at a moderately priced restaurant in Brazil is usually around $15 to $20 per person.
Is the cost of living in Brazil high?
We asked people how much they someone comfortably live on in Brazil, they wrote:
"The cost of living in Brazil varies greatly depending on a variety of factors such as whether one lives in a large city or rural village. In general, those living in the cities will find housing, transportation, medical costs, and other necessities to be more expensive than those living in rural areas. Groceries, however, are typically the same cost no matter where one lives in Brazil. Additionally, the cost of utilities varies depending on the location and the city," said one expat in Brazil.
"If a person wishes to have a comfortable lifestyle including a housekeeper and a groundsman, I would say the minimum is $5,000 a month. (US dollars)," remarked one in Taiba.
Will I save money living in Brazil?
About the Author
Betsy Burlingame is the Founder and President of Expat Exchange and is one of the Founders of Digital Nomad Exchange. She launched Expat Exchange in 1997 as her Master's thesis project at NYU. Prior to Expat Exchange, Betsy worked at AT&T in International and Mass Market Marketing. She graduated from Ohio Wesleyan University with a BA in International Business and German.
Some of Betsy's articles include 12 Best Places to Live in Portugal, 7 Best Places to Live in Panama and 12 Things to Know Before Moving to the Dominican Republic. Betsy loves to travel and spend time with her family. Connect with Betsy on LinkedIn.
- What do I need to know before moving to Brazil?
- How do I find a place to live in Brazil?
- What is a typical expat home or apartment like in Brazil?
- What is the average cost of housing in Brazil?
- Should I buy or rent a home in Brazil?
- What should I pack when moving to Brazil?
- What cultural faux pas should I try to avoid making in Brazil?
- Why do people move to Brazil?
- How are healthcare services Brazil?
- What are medical services in Brazil like?
- What are typical rents in Brazil?
- What appliances are typically included in a rental?