What do expats find most challenging?
We asked expats and digital nomads what they find the most challenging about the local culture in Nigeria. They wrote...
"Expats in Nigeria often find the local culture to be quite different from what they are used to, which can be challenging. The language barrier can be difficult to overcome, as English is not widely spoken in many parts of the country. Additionally, the local customs and traditions can be difficult to understand and navigate, as they are often quite different from those of the expat's home country. Furthermore, the climate can be difficult to adjust to, as temperatures can be quite extreme in certain parts of the country. Finally, the infrastructure in Nigeria can be unreliable, making it difficult to get around and access basic services," said a member in Nigeria.
"The electricity was cut off for a month and a half. Also a week without water! Malaria and fear to go out at night. Security problems and I have to be back home at 10. One day a bomb explosion rocked my window," remarked another expat who made the move to Abuja, Nigeria.
- What should I pack when moving to Nigeria?
- Where should I setup a bank account in Nigeria?
- Will I be able to find a job in Nigeria?
- What is life like in Nigeria?
- What do expats in Nigeria appreciate most about the local culture?
- What do expats find most challenging?
- Is there a lot of crime in Nigeria?
- Is there a lot of diversity? Are people in Nigeria accepting of differences?
- What are the schools in Nigeria like?
- What are healthcare services like in Nigeria?
- What are medical services in Nigeria like?
- Are healthcare and health insurance expensive in Nigeria?
- What are emergency services like in Nigeria?
- Will I need to travel to see a specialist?
- Are common prescription medications available in Nigeria?
- How are local medical facilities in Nigeria?
- As a foreigner living in Nigeria, will I have access to public healthcare? What is it like?
- What have your experiences during the pandemic with the local healthcare system been like?
What do expats find most challenging?If you live in Nigeria, newcomers to Nigeria would love to hear your answer to this question.