How are healthcare services in Morocco?
When we asked expats and global nomads about the quality of medical care in Morocco, they replied...
"Let's be quite clear: public health services are massively oversubscribed by Moroccans-who all pay for private treatment if they can afford it. Morocco is the only country I have ever visited where there is an almost universal distrust of doctors, on the basis that they will invariably recommend the treatment which earns them the most money. On the other hand, my experience of a private clinic in Marrakech, after a serious accident, was very positive except that absolutely no-one spoke any English (fortunately not a problem for me). I was told in the UK that the scanner which had been used was more 'state of the art' than the one in my large local UK hospital & that the medical treatment I had received was up to European standards. It was, however, very expensive-so first class medical insurance is essential. Pharmacies are serious places, as in France & require properly validated prescriptions for any serious medicines," remarked another expat who made the move to Morocco.
"Healthcare services in Morocco are provided by both public and private institutions. The public healthcare system is funded by the government and is available to all citizens and foreign residents. The quality of public healthcare varies depending on the region, but generally it is considered to be of a good standard. Foreign residents have access to the public healthcare system, although they may need to pay a fee for certain services. Expats in Morocco can use the public healthcare system, but they may need to pay a fee for certain services. In addition, many expats opt to purchase private health insurance to cover any additional costs," explained one expat living in Morocco.
- What should I pack when moving to Morocco?
- Where should I setup a bank account in Morocco?
- Will I be able to find a job in Morocco?
- What is life like in Morocco?
- What do expats in Morocco appreciate most about the local culture?
- What do expats find most challenging?
- Is there a lot of crime in Morocco?
- Is there a lot of diversity? Are people in Morocco accepting of differences?
- What are the schools in Morocco like?
- What are healthcare services like in Morocco?
- What are medical services in Morocco like?
- Are healthcare and health insurance expensive in Morocco?
- What are emergency services like in Morocco?
- Will I need to travel to see a specialist?
- Are common prescription medications available in Morocco?
- How are local medical facilities in Morocco?
- As a foreigner living in Morocco, will I have access to public healthcare? What is it like?
- What have your experiences during the pandemic with the local healthcare system been like?
How are healthcare services in Morocco?If you live in Morocco, newcomers to Morocco would love to hear your answer to this question: