The Temporary Stay Visa is for foreigners interested in staying more than 90 days in Croatia. It is granted for up to 1 year. If you're applying to work in Croatia, this visa is called a "Stay and Work Permit." Additionally, once you obtain one of these visas you will need to apply for a Biometric Residence Permit at your local police administration station.
"U.S. citizens, currently in Croatia, who are intending in staying in Croatia for longer than 90 days must apply for a temporary residence permit and should contact the Ministry of Interior minimum 30 days prior to the expiration of 90 days," wrote the US Embassy in Croatia.
This article contains detailed information from Croatia's Ministry of European and Foreign Affairs, Croatia's Ministry of Interior, the Croatian Embassy in Sweden and the US Embassy in Zagreb.
Eligibility for the Temporary Stay Visa
Temporary stay visas are granted for a period of up to 1 year. They may be issued to third-country nationals who are planning to stay in Croatia for the following reasons:
- Work (This type of Temporary Stay Visa is called a "Stay and Work Permit")
- Life Partnership
- Scientific Research
- Secondary School Education and University Studies
- Family Reunification
Types of Temporary Stay Visas (Not Work Related)
Proof of health insurance is required for both the Short-Term Stay Visa and Long-Term Residency Visas (Temporary Stay).
As part of your visa application process, you will need to complete the Ministry of Foreign Affair's:
Health Insurance Declaration Form
In that form, you are attesting to the fact that you have international medical insurance or travel health insurance (for short stays). Specifics:
- Medical or travel medical insurance is valid for the Republic of Croatia
- Medical or travel medical insurance is valid during the entire period that I will be in the Republic of Croatia
- The cover is at least EUR 30.000
- Cover includes repatriation for medical reasons, urgent medical care and/or emergency treatment in a hospital
- That you will carry proof of this medical or travel medical insurance with you, which can be presented to border control officers whenever you enter the Republic of Croatia.
Stay and Work Permit (A Type of Temporary Stay)
"Temporary stay for the purpose of work is granted as a stay and work permit," states the Ministry of the Interior.
Types of Stay and Work Permits:
Basic Requirements for Temporary Stay Visas
- Passport (or other travel document) must be valid for at least 3 months longer than the end of the temporary stay
- Report your temporary residence address at the competent police administration/police station within 3 days of entering Croatia and within 30 days of the issue of the Temporary Stay Visa
- Acceptable Purpose of Stay
- Health Insurance Coverage
- Financial Means
- No Criminal Convictions
- Assured Accommodation
Documents Needed for Temporary Stay Visa Application
The Ministry of European and Foreign Affairs, Ministry of Interior and Embassies (i.e. Croatian Embassy in Sweden) have slightly different lists for documentation requirements. If, for example, The Ministry of Foreign Affairs says you need (1) color photo and the Croatian Embassy in Sweden says that you need (2) color photos, we would list (2) color photos.
In addition to a passport valid for 3 months past the expiry date of the desired temporary stay visa, these documents are requested:
- (2) 35 x 45 mm color photos
- Copy of Passport
- Evidence of Health Insurance (See Health Insurance Requirement Details Below)
- Payment of Administrative Fee (Details Below)
- Certificate confirming that applicant has no criminal convictions issued by the authorities of the passport holder's own country, and country of permanent residence. (Croatian Embassy in Sweden lists this as a requirement, but not the other two ministries)
- Documents that Prove:
- The purpose of your stay in Croatia (Examples: marriage certificate, working permit, student status etc.- depending on the purpose)
- That you have the financial means to stay in Croatia (Examples: confirmation of earnings by the employers, a bank statement)
- That you have assured accommodation in Croatia (Examples: contract of sale of property, a tenancy agreement, a deed of ownership)
- Additional documentation might be requested.
- Documents must not be older than six months.
- Documents enclosed with the application must be either original or a certified copy, while foreign documents have to be translated into Croatian language and certified in line with special regulations.
Where Do I Apply for the Visa?
Temporary Stay Visa and Stay and Work Permit applicants who do NOT need a visa for entering Croatia may submit the temporary residence application at the foreigner desk at their local administrative police station (note: not all police stations are administrative stations). To find the administrative station nearest to your place of residence or work, administrative police stations in Croatia. Your employer may file your application in you are applying for a Stay and Work Permit.
Most Temporary Stay Visa and Stay and Work Permit applicants who do need a visa for entering Croatia need to submit their application at a diplomatic mission or consular post of Croatia. Some exceptions are university students, scientific researchers on a visiting contract and those covered by Article 76, paragraph 1, items 12, 13, 14 and 15 of the Aliens Act. These exceptions may submit the temporary residence application at the foreigner desk at their local administrative police station (note: not all police stations are administrative stations). To find the administrative station nearest to your place of residence or work, administrative police stations in Croatia. Your employer may file your application in you are applying for a Stay and Work Permit.
Croatia's Biometric Residence Permit
The biometric residence permit is the residence permit that is issued to people who have been granted a Temporary-Stay Visa, a Stay and Work Permit or permanent residency. Once your Temporary-Stay Visa or Stay and Work Permit is approved, you will be able to apply for the biometric residence permit at your local police administration station (See list of police administration stations in Croatia). You will be given a receipt by the authorized police officer confirming that you have submitted your application. Once it is issued, you will collect it at the police station.
You will need:
- 30x 35 mm photo
- Valid travel document or other identification
- HRK 240 Residence Permit Production Fee (Payment Info)
- HRK 70 Residence Issuance Fee (Payment Info)
What Happens If/When My Visa Application is Approved?
"If the application is approved, an alien is issued a biometric residence permit. If the application is submitted at a diplomatic mission/consular post, aliens will be notified that a decision relating to the application has been issued, instructing them to appear at the competent police administration/police station to provide biometric data required for their residence permit," wrote the Ministry of Interior.
Reporting Your Place of Residence to the Local Police Station
The Croatian Embassy in Sweden states, "A foreign national is obliged to report to the relevant Police station the exact place of residence no later than three days after arrival to Croatia. The validity of a Temporary Residence Permit shall cease if a foreign national fails to report the place of residence at a Police station within 30 days from the date of issue of the Temporary Residence Permit, or is absent from Croatia for over 30 days."
How Do I Pay the Administrative Fees for the Visa & Biometric Residence Permit?
If you're application is submitted at the police administration station, you will need to pay HRK 350 for the temporary stay visa and HRK 240 for the production of the biometric residence permit. An additional HRK 70 fee is required for the issuance of the biometric residence permit.
There are two ways to pay:
- At the post office/FINA/bank: Pay both amounts (HRK 35 for temporary stay and HRK 240 for biometric residence permit) separately at the post office/FINA/bank and with a "payment slip." Payments are made to the state budget account using the IBAN code obtained at the police administration station. An additional HRK 70 has to be paid for the issuance (as opposed to the production of) the biometric residence permit using the IBAN code of the state budget account or in revenue stamps. "This amount can be paid with a payment slip obtained at a police administration/police station, as those payment slips contain serial control numbers," wrote the Ministry of Interior.
- Via Internet Banking: Pay both amounts plus the additional 70 HRK to the State Budget Account: IBAN HR1210010051863000160, model HR64 with one of these reference numbers:
- Temporary Stay HRK 350 Fee Reference Number: 5002-713-[Your OIB Number] (if you have been issued an OIB/Personal Identification Number) or 5002-713-[Number of Your Valid Travel Document/Identity Card] (if you have NOT been issued an OIB/Personal Identification Number) IMPORTANT: max 10 digit number total, and if the number starts with zeros, they are omitted. Letter symbols, slashes, full stops, commas, etc. also omitted. For example, if Your Valid Travel Document/Identity Card number is TP12345, then the reference number reads: 5002-713-1234.
- Biometric Residence Permit Production Fee HRK 240 Fee Reference Number: 7005-485-[Your OIB Number] (if you have been issued an OIB/Personal Identification Number) or 7005-485-RKP-file number (if you have NOT been issued an OIB/Personal Identification Number).
- Biometric Residence Permit Production Fee Issuance/Administrative Fee HRK 70 Reference Number: 5002-713-[Your OIB Number] (if you have been issued an OIB/Personal Identification Number) or 5002-713-[Number of Your Valid Travel Document/Identity Card] (if you have NOT been issued an OIB/Personal Identification Number) IMPORTANT: max 10 digit number total, and if the number starts with zeros, they are omitted. Letter symbols, slashes, full stops, commas, etc. also omitted. For example, if Your Valid Travel Document/Identity Card number is TP12345, then the reference number reads: 5002-713-1234.
Need an OIB/Personal Identification Number? How to Obtain an OIB or Personal Identification Number.