Retire in Hungary
Last updated on May 10, 2023
Summary: Retirees are attracted to Hungary for its low cost of living, vibrant culture, and stunning natural beauty. Hungary also offers a variety of activities and attractions for retirees, such as thermal baths, spas, and outdoor activities. The weather in Hungary is generally mild, with temperatures ranging from an average of 32°F in January to an average of 73°F in July.
What is it like to retire in Hungary?
"Retirees in Hungary and its surroundings enjoy a vibrant and active lifestyle. There is an active expat community, with many retirees from other countries living in the area. There are plenty of cultural attractions to explore, such as the many museums, galleries, and historic sites. There are also plenty of recreational activities to enjoy, such as hiking, biking, and swimming. For those looking for a more active nightlife, there are plenty of bars, clubs, and restaurants to explore," remarked one retiree in Hungary.
"Yes there is an active expat community in Hungary. The foreigners living in Hungary is growing by the year because some people are here for work but then stay much longer until they retire because they like the living circumstances in Hungary.In re," said a retiree who moved to Budapest, Hungary.
What advice do overseas retirees have for others considering retiring abroad?
About the Author
Betsy Burlingame is the Founder and President of Expat Exchange and is one of the Founders of Digital Nomad Exchange. She launched Expat Exchange in 1997 as her Master's thesis project at NYU. Prior to Expat Exchange, Betsy worked at AT&T in International and Mass Market Marketing. She graduated from Ohio Wesleyan University with a BA in International Business and German.
Some of Betsy's articles include 12 Best Places to Live in Portugal, 7 Best Places to Live in Panama and 12 Things to Know Before Moving to the Dominican Republic. Betsy loves to travel and spend time with her family. Connect with Betsy on LinkedIn.
- What do I need to know before moving to Hungary?
- How do I find a place to live in Hungary?
- What is a typical expat home or apartment like in Hungary?
- What is the average cost of housing in Hungary?
- Should I buy or rent a home in Hungary?
- What should I pack when moving to Hungary?
- What cultural faux pas should I try to avoid making in Hungary?
- Why do people move to Hungary?
- How are healthcare services in Hungary?
- What are medical services in Hungary like?
- What are typical rents in Hungary?
- What appliances are typically included in a rental?