Cost of Living in France
Last updated on Apr 16, 2023
Summary: The cost of living in France is generally higher than in many other countries. The average cost of a nice 1 bedroom apartment in France is around $1,000 USD per month, while a nice 2 bedroom apartment can cost around $1,500 USD per month. The cost of dinner at a moderately priced restaurant in France is usually around $20 USD per person.
Is the cost of living in France high?
We asked people how much they someone comfortably live on in France, they wrote:
"The cost of living in France can vary greatly depending on which part of the country you are looking at, as well as where you choose to live. In general, the cost of basic foodstuffs, gasoline, and public transport is relatively affordable, and housing costs can vary depending on the area and availability. Non-food related expenses such as entertainment and personal care may cost more than in other countries. In comparison to other parts of Europe, France is generally more expensive," explained one expat living in France.
"This of course depends widely on where you live and what luxuries you will require. To give you an good idea you can find a city centre one bedroom apartment for about 700Euro and a three course meal at a restaurant generally costs me about 50Euro. Groceries are much cheaper then restaurants of course," said one expat in Marseille.
Will I save money living in France?
About the Author
Joshua Wood, LPC joined Expat Exchange in 2000 and serves as one of its Co-Presidents. He is also one of the Founders of Digital Nomad Exchange. Prior to Expat Exchange, Joshua worked for NBC Cable (MSNBC and CNBC Primetime). Joshua has a BA from Syracuse and a Master's in Clinical and Counseling Psychology from Fairleigh Dickinson University. Mr. Wood is also a licensed counselor and psychotherapist.
- What should I pack when moving to France?
- Where should I setup a bank account in France?
- Will I be able to find a job in France?
- What is life like as an expat in your area?
- What do expats in France appreciate most about the local culture?
- What do expats find most challenging?
- Is there a lot of crime in France?
- Is there a lot of diversity? Are people in France accepting of differences?
- What are the schools in France like?
- How are healthcare services in France?
- What are medical services in France like?
- Are healthcare and health insurance expensive in France?
- What are emergency services like in France?
- Will I need to travel to see a specialist?
- Are common prescription medications available in France?
- How are local medical facilities in France?
- As a foreigner living in France, will I have access to public healthcare? What is it like?
- What have your experiences during the pandemic with the local healthcare system been like?