Colombo, Sri Lanka
Last updated on Apr 20, 2023
Summary: The approximate population of Colombo, Sri Lanka is 1.2 million. People describe Colombo as a vibrant and bustling city with a mix of modern and colonial architecture. Expats love the city's diverse culture, friendly locals, and delicious food. The weather in Colombo is typically hot and humid, with temperatures ranging from the mid-70s to the mid-90s Fahrenheit. The average cost of living in Colombo for an expat is around $1,500 to $2,000 USD per month. The cost of a one bedroom apartment is around $500 to $800 USD per month, and a two bedroom apartment is around $800 to $1,200 USD per month.
What do I need to know about living in Colombo?
When we asked people what advice they would give someone preparing to move to Colombo, they said:
"Before retiring in Colombo, expats should research the cost of living and the availability of healthcare services. It is also important to familiarize oneself with the local culture and customs, as well as the language. Additionally, expats should consider the climate and the availability of recreational activities. Finally, it is important to research the visa requirements and the process for obtaining residency," wrote one member in Colombo.
What do I need to know before moving to Colombo?
About the Author
Betsy Burlingame is the Founder and President of Expat Exchange and is one of the Founders of Digital Nomad Exchange. She launched Expat Exchange in 1997 as her Master's thesis project at NYU. Prior to Expat Exchange, Betsy worked at AT&T in International and Mass Market Marketing. She graduated from Ohio Wesleyan University with a BA in International Business and German.
Some of Betsy's articles include 12 Best Places to Live in Portugal, 7 Best Places to Live in Panama and 12 Things to Know Before Moving to the Dominican Republic. Betsy loves to travel and spend time with her family. Connect with Betsy on LinkedIn.
- What should I pack when moving to Colombo?
- Where should I setup a bank account in Colombo?
- Will I be able to find a job in Colombo?
- What is life like as an expat in your area?
- What do expats in Colombo appreciate most about the local culture?
- What do expats find most challenging?
- Is there a lot of crime in Colombo?
- Is there a lot of diversity? Are people in Colombo accepting of differences?
- What are the schools in Colombo like?
- How are healthcare services Colombo?
- What are medical services in Colombo like?
- Are healthcare and health insurance expensive in Colombo?
- What are emergency services like in Colombo?
- Will I need to travel to see a specialist?
- Are common prescription medications available in Colombo?
- How are local medical facilities in Colombo?
- As a foreigner living in Colombo, will I have access to public healthcare? What is it like?
- What have your experiences during the pandemic with the local healthcare system been like?