Last updated on Apr 22, 2023
Summary: People describe Olten, Switzerland as a small, charming city with a friendly atmosphere. Expats love the city's convenient location, close proximity to Zurich and Basel, and its easy access to the rest of Switzerland. The weather in Olten is generally mild, with temperatures ranging from the mid-30s to the mid-60s Fahrenheit. The average cost of living for an expat is estimated to be around $2,500 per month. The cost of a one bedroom apartment is around $1,000 per month, while a two bedroom apartment is around $1,400 per month. The approximate population of Olten is around 17,000 people.
What do I need to know about living in Olten?
When we asked people what advice they would give someone preparing to move to Olten, they said:
"-Olten is a small city in Switzerland, located in the canton of Solothurn. -It is known for its easy access to major metropolitan areas such as Zurich, Basel and Geneva. -The cost of living in Olten is relatively high compared to other Swiss cities, but is compensated by its excellent public services, infrastructure and quality of life. -The public transportation in Olten is excellent, with frequent train, bus and tram services connecting Olten to other cities in the region. -There is a wide variety of outdoor activities available in and around Olten, including hiking, climbing, cycling and water sports. -The health care system in Olten is world-class, and there are many private clinics and hospitals in the area. -The climate in Olten is mild and temperate, with an average temperature of around 10 degrees Celsius in the winter and 25 degrees in the summer. -It is important to ensure that you have adequate health insurance cover before retiring in Olten," said one expat who made the move to Olten.
What do I need to know before moving to Olten?
About the Author
Betsy Burlingame is the Founder and President of Expat Exchange and is one of the Founders of Digital Nomad Exchange. She launched Expat Exchange in 1997 as her Master's thesis project at NYU. Prior to Expat Exchange, Betsy worked at AT&T in International and Mass Market Marketing. She graduated from Ohio Wesleyan University with a BA in International Business and German.
Some of Betsy's articles include 12 Best Places to Live in Portugal, 7 Best Places to Live in Panama and 12 Things to Know Before Moving to the Dominican Republic. Betsy loves to travel and spend time with her family. Connect with Betsy on LinkedIn.
- What should I pack when moving to Olten?
- Where should I setup a bank account in Olten?
- Will I be able to find a job in Olten?
- What is life like as an expat in your area?
- What do expats in Olten appreciate most about the local culture?
- What do expats find most challenging?
- Is there a lot of crime in Olten?
- Is there a lot of diversity? Are people in Olten accepting of differences?
- What are the schools in Olten like?
- How are healthcare services in Olten?
- What are medical services in Olten like?
- Are healthcare and health insurance expensive in Olten?
- What are emergency services like in Olten?
- Will I need to travel to see a specialist?
- Are common prescription medications available in Olten?
- How are local medical facilities in Olten?
- As a foreigner living in Olten, will I have access to public healthcare? What is it like?
- What have your experiences during the pandemic with the local healthcare system been like?