Palm Jumeirah, the UAE
Last updated on Jul 10, 2023
Summary: Expats, digital nomads and retirees talk about what it is really like living in Palm Jumeirah, UAE. They offer advice about meeting people, cost of living, finding a home and more.
What do I need to know before moving to Palm Jumeirah?
When we asked people what advice they would give someone preparing to move to Palm Jumeirah, they said:
"Palm Jumeirah is a man-made island in the shape of a palm tree, known for its luxurious villies, high-end hotels, and beautiful beaches. Before moving to Palm Jumeirah, expats should know that the cost of living is quite high, with rent, groceries, and dining out being more expensive than in many other parts of the UAE. The island is home to a diverse community of expats from all over the world, so it's a great place to meet new people and make friends. The weather in Palm Jumeirah is hot and humid for most of the year, with temperatures often exceeding 40 degrees Celsius in the summer months. While English is widely spoken in Palm Jumeirah, learning some basic Arabic phrases can be helpful in daily life. Public transportation is not very extensive on the island, so having a car can be beneficial, although taxis and ride-sharing services are readily available. Palm Jumeirah is a very safe place to live, with a low crime rate and a strong police presence. The healthcare facilities in Palm Jumeirah are excellent, with a number of high-quality hospitals and clinics available. Expats should be aware of the UAE's strict laws and customs, which include restrictions on alcohol consumption, dress codes, and public displays of affection. Finally, while Palm Jumeirah offers a luxurious lifestyle, it's important to remember that it's a relatively isolated island, so it may not offer the same level of cultural immersion as living in a more traditional Emirati neighborhood," said one expat in Palm Jumeirah.
How do I find a place to live in Palm Jumeirah?
About the Author
Betsy Burlingame is the Founder and President of Expat Exchange and is one of the Founders of Digital Nomad Exchange. She launched Expat Exchange in 1997 as her Master's thesis project at NYU. Prior to Expat Exchange, Betsy worked at AT&T in International and Mass Market Marketing. She graduated from Ohio Wesleyan University with a BA in International Business and German.
Some of Betsy's articles include 12 Best Places to Live in Portugal, 7 Best Places to Live in Panama and 12 Things to Know Before Moving to the Dominican Republic. Betsy loves to travel and spend time with her family. Connect with Betsy on LinkedIn.
- What do I need to know before moving to Palm Jumeirah?
- What is a typical expat home or apartment like in Palm Jumeirah?
- What is the average cost of housing in Palm Jumeirah?
- How do I meet people in Palm Jumeirah?
- What do I need to know before retiring in Palm Jumeirah?
- What should I pack when moving to Palm Jumeirah?
- Where should I setup a bank account in Palm Jumeirah?
- Will I be able to find a job in Palm Jumeirah?
- What is life like as an expat in your area?
- What do people like (and dislike) about Palm Jumeirah?
- What type of social life can someone expect in Palm Jumeirah?
- What is the social scene like in Palm Jumeirah?
- What advice to expats in Palm Jumeirah have about housing?
- What are medical services in Palm Jumeirah like?
- Are healthcare and health insurance expensive in Palm Jumeirah?
- Is the cost of living in Palm Jumeirah high?
- What are the visa & residency requirements in Palm Jumeirah?
- Why do people move to Palm Jumeirah?