Last updated on Apr 22, 2023
Summary: People describe Kharkov, Ukraine as a vibrant city with a rich cultural heritage. Expats love the city's friendly atmosphere, its affordability, and its convenient location. The weather in Kharkov is generally mild, with temperatures ranging from an average low of -2°F in January to an average high of 77°F in July. The cost of living for an expat in Kharkov is relatively low. The average monthly rent for a one-bedroom apartment is around $200 USD, while a two-bedroom apartment can cost around $300 USD. Other expenses such as food, transportation, and utilities are also quite affordable. The population of Kharkov is approximately 1.5 million people.
What do I need to know about living in Kharkov?
When we asked people what advice they would give someone preparing to move to Kharkov, they said:
"Before retiring in Kharkov, expats should familiarize themselves with the local language, as English is not widely spoken. It is also important to research the cost of living in the city, as prices can vary significantly from other parts of the country. Additionally, expats should be aware of the local laws and regulations, as well as any visa requirements that may apply. Finally, it is important to research the healthcare system in Kharkov, as well as any insurance options that may be available," remarked one expat who made the move to Kharkov.
What do I need to know before moving to Kharkov?
About the Author
Betsy Burlingame is the Founder and President of Expat Exchange and is one of the Founders of Digital Nomad Exchange. She launched Expat Exchange in 1997 as her Master's thesis project at NYU. Prior to Expat Exchange, Betsy worked at AT&T in International and Mass Market Marketing. She graduated from Ohio Wesleyan University with a BA in International Business and German.
Some of Betsy's articles include 12 Best Places to Live in Portugal, 7 Best Places to Live in Panama and 12 Things to Know Before Moving to the Dominican Republic. Betsy loves to travel and spend time with her family. Connect with Betsy on LinkedIn.
- What do I need to know before moving to Kharkov?
- What is a typical expat home or apartment like in Kharkov?
- What is the average cost of housing in Kharkov?
- How do I meet people in Kharkov?
- What do I need to know before retiring in Kharkov?
- What should I pack when moving to Kharkov?
- Where should I setup a bank account in Kharkov?
- Will I be able to find a job in Kharkov?
- What is life like as an expat in your area?
- What do people like (and dislike) about Kharkov?
- What type of social life can someone expect in Kharkov?
- What is the social scene like in Kharkov?
- What advice to expats in Kharkov have about housing?
- What are medical services in Kharkov like?
- Are healthcare and health insurance expensive in Kharkov?
- Is the cost of living in Kharkov high?
- What are the visa & residency requirements in Kharkov?
- Why do people move to Kharkov?