Last updated on Apr 22, 2023
Summary: People describe Freeport, Bahamas as a beautiful, tropical paradise with stunning beaches, crystal clear waters, and lush vegetation. Expats love the laid-back atmosphere, the friendly locals, and the abundance of outdoor activities. The weather in Freeport is typically warm and humid, with temperatures ranging from the mid-70s to the mid-80s Fahrenheit. The average cost of living for an expat is estimated to be around $2,000 to $3,000 per month. The cost of a one bedroom apartment is typically around $800 to $1,200 per month, while a two bedroom apartment can range from $1,200 to $1,800 per month. The approximate population of Freeport is around 50,000 people.
What do I need to know about living in Freeport?
When we asked people what advice they would give someone preparing to move to Freeport, they said:
"Before retiring in Freeport, expats should be aware of the cost of living, which is higher than in many other Caribbean countries. Additionally, expats should research the availability of healthcare services and the quality of medical care in the area. It is also important to be aware of the local laws and regulations, as well as the climate and weather patterns. Finally, expats should research the availability of activities and amenities in the area to ensure that they will have access to the things they need and enjoy," wrote one member in Freeport.
What do I need to know before moving to Freeport?
About the Author
Betsy Burlingame is the Founder and President of Expat Exchange and is one of the Founders of Digital Nomad Exchange. She launched Expat Exchange in 1997 as her Master's thesis project at NYU. Prior to Expat Exchange, Betsy worked at AT&T in International and Mass Market Marketing. She graduated from Ohio Wesleyan University with a BA in International Business and German.
Some of Betsy's articles include 12 Best Places to Live in Portugal, 7 Best Places to Live in Panama and 12 Things to Know Before Moving to the Dominican Republic. Betsy loves to travel and spend time with her family. Connect with Betsy on LinkedIn.
- What do I need to know before moving to Freeport?
- What is a typical expat home or apartment like in Freeport?
- What is the average cost of housing in Freeport?
- How do I meet people in Freeport?
- What do I need to know before retiring in Freeport?
- What should I pack when moving to Freeport?
- Where should I setup a bank account in Freeport?
- Will I be able to find a job in Freeport?
- What is life like as an expat in your area?
- What do people like (and dislike) about Freeport?
- What type of social life can someone expect in Freeport?
- What is the social scene like in Freeport?
- What advice to expats in Freeport have about housing?
- What are medical services in Freeport like?
- Are healthcare and health insurance expensive in Freeport?
- Is the cost of living in Freeport high?
- What are the visa & residency requirements in Freeport?
- Why do people move to Freeport?