San Ignacio, Belize
Last updated on Jul 01, 2023
Summary: People describe San Ignacio, Belize as a vibrant, friendly, and culturally diverse city. Expats love the laid-back atmosphere, the abundance of outdoor activities, and the affordability of living in San Ignacio. The weather in San Ignacio is typically warm and humid, with temperatures ranging from the mid-70s to the mid-90s Fahrenheit. The average cost of living for an expat is around $1,500 USD per month. The cost of a one bedroom apartment is typically around $500 USD per month, while a two bedroom apartment can range from $600 to $800 USD per month. The approximate population of San Ignacio is around 20,000 people.
What do I need to know about living in San Ignacio?
When we asked people what advice they would give someone preparing to move to San Ignacio, they said:
"Before retiring in San Ignacio, expats should be aware that the cost of living is relatively low compared to other countries. It is important to research the local laws and regulations to ensure that all necessary paperwork is in order. Additionally, expats should be aware that the local language is English, but Spanish is also widely spoken. It is also important to research the local healthcare system and ensure that adequate medical coverage is in place. Finally, expats should be aware that the climate in San Ignacio is tropical, with hot and humid summers and mild winters," remarked one expat living in San Ignacio, Belize.
What do I need to know before moving to San Ignacio?
About the Author
Betsy Burlingame is the Founder and President of Expat Exchange and is one of the Founders of Digital Nomad Exchange. She launched Expat Exchange in 1997 as her Master's thesis project at NYU. Prior to Expat Exchange, Betsy worked at AT&T in International and Mass Market Marketing. She graduated from Ohio Wesleyan University with a BA in International Business and German.
Some of Betsy's articles include 12 Best Places to Live in Portugal, 7 Best Places to Live in Panama and 12 Things to Know Before Moving to the Dominican Republic. Betsy loves to travel and spend time with her family. Connect with Betsy on LinkedIn.
- What should I pack when moving to San Ignacio?
- Where should I setup a bank account in San Ignacio?
- Will I be able to find a job in San Ignacio?
- What is life like as an expat in your area?
- What do expats in San Ignacio appreciate most about the local culture?
- What do expats find most challenging?
- Is there a lot of crime in San Ignacio?
- Is there a lot of diversity? Are people in San Ignacio accepting of differences?
- What are the schools in San Ignacio like?
- How are healthcare services in San Ignacio?
- What are medical services in San Ignacio like?
- Are healthcare and health insurance expensive in San Ignacio?
- What are emergency services like in San Ignacio?
- Will I need to travel to see a specialist?
- Are common prescription medications available in San Ignacio?
- How are local medical facilities in San Ignacio?
- As a foreigner living in San Ignacio, will I have access to public healthcare? What is it like?
- What have your experiences during the pandemic with the local healthcare system been like?