Last updated on Apr 20, 2023
Summary: The approximate population of Kelowna, Canada is approximately 130,000 people. People describe Kelowna as a beautiful city with a vibrant culture, stunning scenery, and plenty of outdoor activities. Expats love the mild climate, the friendly people, and the abundance of outdoor activities. The weather in Kelowna is generally mild, with temperatures ranging from an average high of 77°F (25°C) in the summer to an average low of 24°F (-4°C) in the winter. The average cost of living in Kelowna for an expat is approximately $2,000 USD per month. The cost of a one bedroom apartment is approximately $1,000 USD per month, and the cost of a two bedroom apartment is approximately $1,400 USD per month.
What do I need to know about living in Kelowna?
When we asked people what advice they would give someone preparing to move to Kelowna, they said:
"Kelowna is a beautiful city located in the Okanagan Valley of British Columbia, Canada. It is known for its stunning scenery, mild climate, and abundance of outdoor activities. Before retiring in Kelowna, expats should research the cost of living, healthcare options, and the availability of public transportation. It is also important to familiarize yourself with the local culture and customs, as well as the language. Additionally, expats should consider the tax implications of retiring in Canada, as well as the availability of banking and financial services. Finally, expats should take the time to explore the city and its surrounding areas to ensure that it is the right fit for them," commented one expat who made the move to Kelowna.
What do I need to know before moving to Kelowna?
About the Author
Betsy Burlingame is the Founder and President of Expat Exchange and is one of the Founders of Digital Nomad Exchange. She launched Expat Exchange in 1997 as her Master's thesis project at NYU. Prior to Expat Exchange, Betsy worked at AT&T in International and Mass Market Marketing. She graduated from Ohio Wesleyan University with a BA in International Business and German.
Some of Betsy's articles include 12 Best Places to Live in Portugal, 7 Best Places to Live in Panama and 12 Things to Know Before Moving to the Dominican Republic. Betsy loves to travel and spend time with her family. Connect with Betsy on LinkedIn.
- What should I pack when moving to Kelowna?
- Where should I setup a bank account in Kelowna?
- Will I be able to find a job in Kelowna?
- What is life like as an expat in your area?
- What do expats in Kelowna appreciate most about the local culture?
- What do expats find most challenging?
- Is there a lot of crime in Kelowna?
- Is there a lot of diversity? Are people in Kelowna accepting of differences?
- What are the schools in Kelowna like?
- How are healthcare services in Kelowna?
- What are medical services in Kelowna like?
- Are healthcare and health insurance expensive in Kelowna?
- What are emergency services like in Kelowna?
- Will I need to travel to see a specialist?
- Are common prescription medications available in Kelowna?
- How are local medical facilities in Kelowna?
- As a foreigner living in Kelowna, will I have access to public healthcare? What is it like?
- What have your experiences during the pandemic with the local healthcare system been like?