Last updated on Jul 09, 2023
Summary: Expats, digital nomads and retirees talk about what it is really like living in Speightstown, Barbados. They offer advice about meeting people, cost of living, finding a home and more.
What do I need to know before moving to Speightstown?
When we asked people what advice they would give someone preparing to move to Speightstown, they said:
"Speightstown is a charming and historic town that offers a unique blend of old world charm and modern conveniences. Before moving there, expats should know that English is the official language, but Bajan, a local dialect, is also widely spoken. The cost of living can be high, especially for housing and imported goods. The local currency is the Barbadian dollar, which is pegged to the US dollar. Expats should also be aware that the healthcare system in Barbados is of a high standard, with both public and private hospitals available. The climate in Speightstown is tropical, with warm temperatures year-round and a rainy season from June to November. The town is known for its beautiful beaches, but also has a vibrant arts scene and a number of historical sites. Public transportation is reliable and affordable, but many expats choose to buy or rent a car for more flexibility. Driving is on the left side of the road. Barbados has a relatively low crime rate, but expats should still take standard precautions to protect their personal safety and belongings. The education system in Barbados is based on the British model, and there are several reputable international schools for expat children. Finally, expats should be aware that Barbados has strict immigration laws, and they will need to secure the appropriate visa or work permit before moving to Speightstown," said one expat in Speightstown.
What is a typical expat home or apartment like in Speightstown?
About the Author
Betsy Burlingame is the Founder and President of Expat Exchange and is one of the Founders of Digital Nomad Exchange. She launched Expat Exchange in 1997 as her Master's thesis project at NYU. Prior to Expat Exchange, Betsy worked at AT&T in International and Mass Market Marketing. She graduated from Ohio Wesleyan University with a BA in International Business and German.
Some of Betsy's articles include 12 Best Places to Live in Portugal, 7 Best Places to Live in Panama and 12 Things to Know Before Moving to the Dominican Republic. Betsy loves to travel and spend time with her family. Connect with Betsy on LinkedIn.
- What do I need to know before moving to Speightstown?
- What is a typical expat home or apartment like in Speightstown?
- What is the average cost of housing in Speightstown?
- How do I meet people in Speightstown?
- What do I need to know before retiring in Speightstown?
- What should I pack when moving to Speightstown?
- Where should I setup a bank account in Speightstown?
- Will I be able to find a job in Speightstown?
- What is life like as an expat in your area?
- What do people like (and dislike) about Speightstown?
- What type of social life can someone expect in Speightstown?
- What is the social scene like in Speightstown?
- What advice to expats in Speightstown have about housing?
- What are medical services in Speightstown like?
- Are healthcare and health insurance expensive in Speightstown?
- Is the cost of living in Speightstown high?
- What are the visa & residency requirements in Speightstown?
- Why do people move to Speightstown?