Last updated on Jul 09, 2023
Summary: Expats, digital nomads and retirees talk about what it is really like living in Worthing, Barbados. They offer advice about meeting people, cost of living, finding a home and more.
What do I need to know before moving to Worthing?
When we asked people what advice they would give someone preparing to move to Worthing, they said:
"Before moving to Worthing, expats should know that the official language is English, but Bajan, a local dialect, is also widely spoken. The cost of living can be high, especially for housing and imported goods. The currency used is the Barbadian dollar, which is pegged to the US dollar. Expats should be aware that the climate is tropical, with a wet season from June to November and a dry season from December to May. The healthcare system in Barbados is of a high standard, with both public and private facilities available. Driving is on the left-hand side of the road, and an international driving permit is required. The crime rate is relatively low, but petty crime like pickpocketing can occur, so it's important to take basic safety precautions. Barbados has a rich culture with a love for music, dance, and festivals, the most famous being the Crop Over festival. The local cuisine is a blend of African, Indian, Irish, Creole and British influences, with seafood being a staple. Expats should also know that Barbados has strict laws against drug use and possession. Lastly, it's important to note that Barbados is a conservative country, and respectful attire is expected, especially when visiting religious sites or government buildings," remarked one expat who made the move to Worthing.
What is a typical expat home or apartment like in Worthing?
About the Author
Betsy Burlingame is the Founder and President of Expat Exchange and is one of the Founders of Digital Nomad Exchange. She launched Expat Exchange in 1997 as her Master's thesis project at NYU. Prior to Expat Exchange, Betsy worked at AT&T in International and Mass Market Marketing. She graduated from Ohio Wesleyan University with a BA in International Business and German.
Some of Betsy's articles include 12 Best Places to Live in Portugal, 7 Best Places to Live in Panama and 12 Things to Know Before Moving to the Dominican Republic. Betsy loves to travel and spend time with her family. Connect with Betsy on LinkedIn.
- What do I need to know before moving to Worthing?
- What is a typical expat home or apartment like in Worthing?
- What is the average cost of housing in Worthing?
- How do I meet people in Worthing?
- What do I need to know before retiring in Worthing?
- What should I pack when moving to Worthing?
- Where should I setup a bank account in Worthing?
- Will I be able to find a job in Worthing?
- What is life like as an expat in your area?
- What do people like (and dislike) about Worthing?
- What type of social life can someone expect in Worthing?
- What is the social scene like in Worthing?
- What advice to expats in Worthing have about housing?
- What are medical services in Worthing like?
- Are healthcare and health insurance expensive in Worthing?
- Is the cost of living in Worthing high?
- What are the visa & residency requirements in Worthing?
- Why do people move to Worthing?