Last updated on Jul 10, 2023
Summary: Expats, digital nomads and retirees talk about what it is really like living in Knokke-Heist, Belgium. They offer advice about meeting people, cost of living, finding a home and more.
What do I need to know before moving to Knokke-Heist?
When we asked people what advice they would give someone preparing to move to Knokke-Heist, they said:
"Knokke-Heist is a municipality located in the Flemish region of Belgium and is known for its beaches, making it a popular destination for both locals and tourists. The official language in Knokke-Heist is Dutch, but due to its popularity as a tourist destination, English, French, and German are also widely spoken. The cost of living in Knokke-Heist is relatively high compared to other parts of Belgium, as it is a popular seaside resort and residential area for wealthy individuals. The town is well-connected to other parts of Belgium through public transportation, with regular train and bus services available. Knokke-Heist has a temperate maritime climate, with mild summers and cool winters, and rainfall distributed throughout the year. The town is known for its vibrant nightlife, with a wide range of bars, clubs, and restaurants to choose from. Knokke-Heist is also home to a number of cultural attractions, including art galleries, museums, and the famous Zwin Nature Park. The healthcare system in Belgium is of a high standard, and expats will need to register with a local health insurance fund to access services. Education in Belgium is compulsory from the ages of 6 to 18, and there are a number of both public and private schools in Knokke-Heist. The town is also known for its high-quality food, particularly seafood, and there are a number of excellent restaurants and food markets in the area. It's important to note that Belgium has a high tax rate, and expats should familiarize themselves with the local tax laws. Finally, while Knokke-Heist is generally safe, like any other place, it's important to take standard precautions to protect yourself and your belongings," said one expat who made the move to Knokke-Heist.
How do I find a place to live in Knokke-Heist?
About the Author
Betsy Burlingame is the Founder and President of Expat Exchange and is one of the Founders of Digital Nomad Exchange. She launched Expat Exchange in 1997 as her Master's thesis project at NYU. Prior to Expat Exchange, Betsy worked at AT&T in International and Mass Market Marketing. She graduated from Ohio Wesleyan University with a BA in International Business and German.
Some of Betsy's articles include 12 Best Places to Live in Portugal, 7 Best Places to Live in Panama and 12 Things to Know Before Moving to the Dominican Republic. Betsy loves to travel and spend time with her family. Connect with Betsy on LinkedIn.
- What do I need to know before moving to Knokke-Heist?
- What is a typical expat home or apartment like in Knokke-Heist?
- What is the average cost of housing in Knokke-Heist?
- How do I meet people in Knokke-Heist?
- What do I need to know before retiring in Knokke-Heist?
- What should I pack when moving to Knokke-Heist?
- Where should I setup a bank account in Knokke-Heist?
- Will I be able to find a job in Knokke-Heist?
- What is life like as an expat in your area?
- What do people like (and dislike) about Knokke-Heist?
- What type of social life can someone expect in Knokke-Heist?
- What is the social scene like in Knokke-Heist?
- What advice to expats in Knokke-Heist have about housing?
- What are medical services in Knokke-Heist like?
- Are healthcare and health insurance expensive in Knokke-Heist?
- Is the cost of living in Knokke-Heist high?
- What are the visa & residency requirements in Knokke-Heist?
- Why do people move to Knokke-Heist?