Last updated on Apr 22, 2023
Summary: The approximate population of Tallinn, Estonia is 437,619. People describe Tallinn as a vibrant, modern city with a rich cultural heritage. Expats love the city's affordability, safety, and excellent public transportation. The weather in Tallinn is generally mild, with temperatures ranging from an average low of 28°F (-2°C) in January to an average high of 68°F (20°C) in July. The average cost of living in Tallinn for an expat is around $1,500 per month. The cost of a one bedroom apartment is around $600 per month, while a two bedroom apartment is around $800 per month.
What do I need to know about living in Tallinn?
When we asked people what advice they would give someone preparing to move to Tallinn, they said:
"Before retiring in Tallinn, expats should familiarize themselves with the local language, Estonian, as it is the official language of the country. Expats should also research the cost of living in Tallinn, as it is generally higher than other parts of the country. Additionally, expats should research the healthcare system in Estonia, as it is different from other countries. Finally, expats should research the visa requirements for living in Estonia, as they may need to apply for a residence permit," said one expat in Tallinn.
What do I need to know before moving to Tallinn?
About the Author
Betsy Burlingame is the Founder and President of Expat Exchange and is one of the Founders of Digital Nomad Exchange. She launched Expat Exchange in 1997 as her Master's thesis project at NYU. Prior to Expat Exchange, Betsy worked at AT&T in International and Mass Market Marketing. She graduated from Ohio Wesleyan University with a BA in International Business and German.
Some of Betsy's articles include 12 Best Places to Live in Portugal, 7 Best Places to Live in Panama and 12 Things to Know Before Moving to the Dominican Republic. Betsy loves to travel and spend time with her family. Connect with Betsy on LinkedIn.
- What should I pack when moving to Tallinn?
- Where should I setup a bank account in Tallinn?
- Will I be able to find a job in Tallinn?
- What is life like as an expat in your area?
- What do expats in Tallinn appreciate most about the local culture?
- What do expats find most challenging?
- Is there a lot of crime in Tallinn?
- Is there a lot of diversity? Are people in Tallinn accepting of differences?
- What are the schools in Tallinn like?
- How are healthcare services in Tallinn?
- What are medical services in Tallinn like?
- Are healthcare and health insurance expensive in Tallinn?
- What are emergency services like in Tallinn?
- Will I need to travel to see a specialist?
- Are common prescription medications available in Tallinn?
- How are local medical facilities in Tallinn?
- As a foreigner living in Tallinn, will I have access to public healthcare? What is it like?
- What have your experiences during the pandemic with the local healthcare system been like?