Last updated on Apr 20, 2023
Summary: People describe Tbilisi, Georgia Rep as a vibrant and exciting city with a unique culture and a rich history. Expats love the city's friendly people, its delicious food, and its affordable cost of living. The weather in Tbilisi is generally mild, with temperatures ranging from the mid-50s to the mid-80s Fahrenheit. The average cost of living for an expat is around $1,000 per month. The cost of a one bedroom apartment is around $400 per month, while a two bedroom apartment is around $600 per month. The approximate population of Tbilisi is 1.1 million people.
What do I need to know about living in Tbilisi?
When we asked people what advice they would give someone preparing to move to Tbilisi, they said:
"Before retiring in Tbilisi, Georgia, expats should be aware of a few things. Georgia is a developing country and the standard of living is generally lower than in other developed countries. Expats should also familiarize themselves with the country’s legal and business systems and make sure they are complying with all the relevant laws. Additionally, expats should research and apply for all the relevant visas and other paperwork they may need ahead of time. Another important thing to be aware of is that Georgia has an unfamiliar climate and culture, so it will be important for expats to make sure they are prepared for this. Finally, expats should ensure that their health and medical insurance are up to date, as the medical care in Tbilisi may not be what they are used to," said one expat who made the move to Tbilisi, Georgia Rep.
What do I need to know before moving to Tbilisi?
About the Author
Betsy Burlingame is the Founder and President of Expat Exchange and is one of the Founders of Digital Nomad Exchange. She launched Expat Exchange in 1997 as her Master's thesis project at NYU. Prior to Expat Exchange, Betsy worked at AT&T in International and Mass Market Marketing. She graduated from Ohio Wesleyan University with a BA in International Business and German.
Some of Betsy's articles include 12 Best Places to Live in Portugal, 7 Best Places to Live in Panama and 12 Things to Know Before Moving to the Dominican Republic. Betsy loves to travel and spend time with her family. Connect with Betsy on LinkedIn.
- What should I pack when moving to Tbilisi?
- Where should I setup a bank account in Tbilisi?
- Will I be able to find a job in Tbilisi?
- What is life like as an expat in your area?
- What do expats in Tbilisi appreciate most about the local culture?
- What do expats find most challenging?
- Is there a lot of crime in Tbilisi?
- Is there a lot of diversity? Are people in Tbilisi accepting of differences?
- What are the schools in Tbilisi like?
- How are healthcare services in Tbilisi?
- What are medical services in Tbilisi like?
- Are healthcare and health insurance expensive in Tbilisi?
- What are emergency services like in Tbilisi?
- Will I need to travel to see a specialist?
- Are common prescription medications available in Tbilisi?
- How are local medical facilities in Tbilisi?
- As a foreigner living in Tbilisi, will I have access to public healthcare? What is it like?
- What have your experiences during the pandemic with the local healthcare system been like?