Last updated on Jul 10, 2023
Summary: Expats, digital nomads and retirees talk about what it is really like living in Szekesfehervar, Hungary. They offer advice about meeting people, cost of living, finding a home and more.
What do I need to know before moving to Szekesfehervar?
When we asked people what advice they would give someone preparing to move to Szekesfehervar, they said:
"Szekesfehervar is a city rich in history and culture, with a variety of attractions including museums, churches, and historical sites. The official language is Hungarian, which is known to be quite challenging to learn, but English is also widely spoken, especially by younger people and in tourist areas. The cost of living in Szekesfehervar is relatively low compared to other European cities, making it an attractive place for expats. The city has a continental climate, with cold winters and warm summers, so appropriate clothing will be needed depending on the time of year you move. Public transportation in Szekesfehervar is reliable and affordable, with a network of buses and trains connecting the city and surrounding areas. Hungarian cuisine is hearty and diverse, with local specialties including goulash, stuffed peppers, and chimney cake. Healthcare in Hungary is of a high standard, with both public and private options available, but it's recommended to have comprehensive health insurance. The city is generally safe, but like anywhere, it's important to be aware of your surroundings and take basic safety precautions. Szekesfehervar has a range of accommodation options, from modern apartments to more traditional houses, and property prices are generally lower than in the capital, Budapest. The city has a vibrant cultural scene, with numerous festivals, concerts, and events taking place throughout the year. Hungarians are known for their hospitality, but they also appreciate when foreigners make an effort to understand their customs and traditions. The education system in Hungary is well-regarded, with a number of good schools in Szekesfehervar, and there are also opportunities for higher education. It's important to note that Hungary has strict laws regarding residency and work permits, so it's essential to ensure all paperwork is in order before moving. Finally, while Szekesfehervar is a smaller city, it's only about an hour's drive from Budapest, making it easy to explore more of what Hungary has to offer," explained one expat living in Szekesfehervar, Hungary.
How do I find a place to live in Szekesfehervar?
About the Author
Betsy Burlingame is the Founder and President of Expat Exchange and is one of the Founders of Digital Nomad Exchange. She launched Expat Exchange in 1997 as her Master's thesis project at NYU. Prior to Expat Exchange, Betsy worked at AT&T in International and Mass Market Marketing. She graduated from Ohio Wesleyan University with a BA in International Business and German.
Some of Betsy's articles include 12 Best Places to Live in Portugal, 7 Best Places to Live in Panama and 12 Things to Know Before Moving to the Dominican Republic. Betsy loves to travel and spend time with her family. Connect with Betsy on LinkedIn.
- What do I need to know before moving to Szekesfehervar?
- What is a typical expat home or apartment like in Szekesfehervar?
- What is the average cost of housing in Szekesfehervar?
- How do I meet people in Szekesfehervar?
- What do I need to know before retiring in Szekesfehervar?
- What should I pack when moving to Szekesfehervar?
- Where should I setup a bank account in Szekesfehervar?
- Will I be able to find a job in Szekesfehervar?
- What is life like as an expat in your area?
- What do people like (and dislike) about Szekesfehervar?
- What type of social life can someone expect in Szekesfehervar?
- What is the social scene like in Szekesfehervar?
- What advice to expats in Szekesfehervar have about housing?
- What are medical services in Szekesfehervar like?
- Are healthcare and health insurance expensive in Szekesfehervar?
- Is the cost of living in Szekesfehervar high?
- What are the visa & residency requirements in Szekesfehervar?
- Why do people move to Szekesfehervar?