Last updated on Apr 20, 2023
Summary: The approximate population of Mussoorie, India is around 30,000 people. People describe Mussoorie as a beautiful hill station with stunning views of the Himalayas. Expats love the peaceful atmosphere, the friendly locals, and the easy access to nature. The weather in Mussoorie is generally mild and pleasant. The average temperature in the summer is around 75°F (24°C) and in the winter it can drop to around 40°F (4°C). The average cost of living in Mussoorie for an expat is around $1,000 USD per month. The cost of a one bedroom apartment is around $400 USD per month and a two bedroom apartment is around $600 USD per month.
What do I need to know about living in Mussoorie?
When we asked people what advice they would give someone preparing to move to Mussoorie, they said:
"Before retiring in Mussoorie, expats should be aware of the cost of living, which is generally lower than in other parts of India. It is important to research the local healthcare system and ensure that adequate medical care is available. Additionally, expats should be aware of the local climate, which can be quite cold in the winter months. It is also important to research the local culture and customs, as well as the availability of amenities such as banks, supermarkets, and transportation. Finally, expats should be aware of the local laws and regulations, and ensure that they are compliant with them," remarked one expat living in Mussoorie, India.
What do I need to know before moving to Mussoorie?
About the Author
Betsy Burlingame is the Founder and President of Expat Exchange and is one of the Founders of Digital Nomad Exchange. She launched Expat Exchange in 1997 as her Master's thesis project at NYU. Prior to Expat Exchange, Betsy worked at AT&T in International and Mass Market Marketing. She graduated from Ohio Wesleyan University with a BA in International Business and German.
Some of Betsy's articles include 12 Best Places to Live in Portugal, 7 Best Places to Live in Panama and 12 Things to Know Before Moving to the Dominican Republic. Betsy loves to travel and spend time with her family. Connect with Betsy on LinkedIn.
- What should I pack when moving to Mussoorie?
- Where should I setup a bank account in Mussoorie?
- Will I be able to find a job in Mussoorie?
- What is life like as an expat in your area?
- What do expats in Mussoorie appreciate most about the local culture?
- What do expats find most challenging?
- Is there a lot of crime in Mussoorie?
- Is there a lot of diversity? Are people in Mussoorie accepting of differences?
- What are the schools in Mussoorie like?
- How are healthcare services Mussoorie?
- What are medical services in Mussoorie like?
- Are healthcare and health insurance expensive in Mussoorie?
- What are emergency services like in Mussoorie?
- Will I need to travel to see a specialist?
- Are common prescription medications available in Mussoorie?
- How are local medical facilities in Mussoorie?
- As a foreigner living in Mussoorie, will I have access to public healthcare? What is it like?
- What have your experiences during the pandemic with the local healthcare system been like?