Last updated on Apr 22, 2023
Summary: People often describe Bangalore, India as a vibrant and cosmopolitan city. Expats love the city for its diverse culture, excellent food, and friendly people. The weather in Bangalore is generally warm and pleasant, with temperatures ranging from the mid-60s to the mid-90s Fahrenheit. The average cost of living for an expat is around $1,000 to $1,500 per month. The cost of a one bedroom apartment is around $400 to $600 per month, while a two bedroom apartment can cost anywhere from $600 to $1,000 per month. The approximate population of Bangalore is around 12 million people.
What do I need to know about living in Bangalore?
When we asked people what advice they would give someone preparing to move to Bangalore, they said:
"Before retiring in Bangalore, expats should research the cost of living and the availability of healthcare services. They should also familiarize themselves with the local culture and customs, as well as the language. Additionally, expats should consider the climate and the availability of recreational activities. It is also important to research the local job market and the availability of housing. Finally, expats should ensure that they have the necessary visas and permits to live and work in India," remarked one expat who made the move to Bangalore.
"Surround yourself with positive people, get your support from them should you need it. India is at times challenging, exciting and in its own way crazy but if you are willing to be open to the differences then you will be rewarded with experiences way beyond what you would expect. I love India which is why we have returned here for a second time," explained one expat living in Bangalore, India.
What do I need to know before moving to Bangalore?
About the Author
Betsy Burlingame is the Founder and President of Expat Exchange and is one of the Founders of Digital Nomad Exchange. She launched Expat Exchange in 1997 as her Master's thesis project at NYU. Prior to Expat Exchange, Betsy worked at AT&T in International and Mass Market Marketing. She graduated from Ohio Wesleyan University with a BA in International Business and German.
Some of Betsy's articles include 12 Best Places to Live in Portugal, 7 Best Places to Live in Panama and 12 Things to Know Before Moving to the Dominican Republic. Betsy loves to travel and spend time with her family. Connect with Betsy on LinkedIn.
- What do I need to know before moving to Bangalore?
- What is a typical expat home or apartment like in Bangalore?
- What is the average cost of housing in Bangalore?
- How do I meet people in Bangalore?
- What do I need to know before retiring in Bangalore?
- What should I pack when moving to Bangalore?
- Where should I setup a bank account in Bangalore?
- Will I be able to find a job in Bangalore?
- What is life like as an expat in your area?
- What do people like (and dislike) about Bangalore?
- What type of social life can someone expect in Bangalore?
- What is the social scene like in Bangalore?
- What advice to expats in Bangalore have about housing?
- What are medical services in Bangalore like?
- Are healthcare and health insurance expensive in Bangalore?
- Is the cost of living in Bangalore high?
- What are the visa & residency requirements in Bangalore?
- Why do people move to Bangalore?