Last updated on Jul 10, 2023
Summary: Expats, digital nomads and retirees talk about what it is really like living in Bray, Ireland. They offer advice about meeting people, cost of living, finding a home and more.
What do I need to know about living in Bray?
When we asked people what advice they would give someone preparing to move to Bray, they said:
"Before retiring in Bray, expats should know that the cost of living can be high, especially when it comes to housing and healthcare. They should also be aware that Ireland has a progressive tax system, which means that the more income you have, the higher your tax rate will be. Expats should also know that Bray is a popular tourist destination, known for its beautiful seafront promenade, so it can get busy during the peak tourist season. The weather in Bray, like much of Ireland, is often cool and rainy, so expats from warmer climates may need time to adjust. English is the primary language spoken in Bray, but some residents also speak Irish. The healthcare system in Ireland is generally of a high standard, but private health insurance is recommended as public healthcare can have long waiting times. Bray is well-connected to Dublin by train and bus, making it easy for expats to explore the rest of the country. The town itself has a vibrant arts scene, with numerous festivals and events throughout the year. Expats should also be aware that Ireland has strict immigration laws, and they will need to secure the appropriate visa or residency permit before moving. Finally, expats should know that the Irish are known for their friendliness and hospitality, so newcomers are often made to feel very welcome," wrote a member in Bray.
What do I need to know before moving to Bray?
About the Author
Betsy Burlingame is the Founder and President of Expat Exchange and is one of the Founders of Digital Nomad Exchange. She launched Expat Exchange in 1997 as her Master's thesis project at NYU. Prior to Expat Exchange, Betsy worked at AT&T in International and Mass Market Marketing. She graduated from Ohio Wesleyan University with a BA in International Business and German.
Some of Betsy's articles include 12 Best Places to Live in Portugal, 7 Best Places to Live in Panama and 12 Things to Know Before Moving to the Dominican Republic. Betsy loves to travel and spend time with her family. Connect with Betsy on LinkedIn.
- What do I need to know before moving to Bray?
- What is a typical expat home or apartment like in Bray?
- What is the average cost of housing in Bray?
- How do I meet people in Bray?
- What do I need to know before retiring in Bray?
- What should I pack when moving to Bray?
- Where should I setup a bank account in Bray?
- Will I be able to find a job in Bray?
- What is life like as an expat in your area?
- What do people like (and dislike) about Bray?
- What type of social life can someone expect in Bray?
- What is the social scene like in Bray?
- What advice to expats in Bray have about housing?
- What are medical services in Bray like?
- Are healthcare and health insurance expensive in Bray?
- Is the cost of living in Bray high?
- What are the visa & residency requirements in Bray?
- Why do people move to Bray?