Last updated on Apr 21, 2023
Summary: People describe Bergamo, Italy as a beautiful city with a rich history and culture. Expats love the city's vibrant atmosphere, its stunning architecture, and its proximity to the Alps. The weather in Bergamo is generally mild, with temperatures ranging from the mid-30s to the mid-70s Fahrenheit. The average cost of living for an expat is estimated to be around $1,500 to $2,000 per month. The cost of a one bedroom apartment is around $800 to $1,000 per month, while a two bedroom apartment can cost around $1,200 to $1,500 per month. The approximate population of Bergamo is around 120,000 people.
What do I need to know about living in Bergamo?
When we asked people what advice they would give someone preparing to move to Bergamo, they said:
"Before retiring in Bergamo, expats should be aware of the cost of living, which is higher than the national average. They should also research the local healthcare system and the availability of medical services. Additionally, expats should familiarize themselves with the local language, as English is not widely spoken in Bergamo. It is also important to research the local culture and customs, as well as the climate and weather patterns. Finally, expats should consider the availability of transportation, as Bergamo is not well-connected to other cities," said one expat who made the move to Bergamo.
What do I need to know before moving to Bergamo?
About the Author
Betsy Burlingame is the Founder and President of Expat Exchange and is one of the Founders of Digital Nomad Exchange. She launched Expat Exchange in 1997 as her Master's thesis project at NYU. Prior to Expat Exchange, Betsy worked at AT&T in International and Mass Market Marketing. She graduated from Ohio Wesleyan University with a BA in International Business and German.
Some of Betsy's articles include 12 Best Places to Live in Portugal, 7 Best Places to Live in Panama and 12 Things to Know Before Moving to the Dominican Republic. Betsy loves to travel and spend time with her family. Connect with Betsy on LinkedIn.
- What should I pack when moving to Bergamo?
- Where should I setup a bank account in Bergamo?
- Will I be able to find a job in Bergamo?
- What is life like as an expat in your area?
- What do expats in Bergamo appreciate most about the local culture?
- What do expats find most challenging?
- Is there a lot of crime in Bergamo?
- Is there a lot of diversity? Are people in Bergamo accepting of differences?
- What are the schools in Bergamo like?
- How are healthcare services in Bergamo?
- What are medical services in Bergamo like?
- Are healthcare and health insurance expensive in Bergamo?
- What are emergency services like in Bergamo?
- Will I need to travel to see a specialist?
- Are common prescription medications available in Bergamo?
- How are local medical facilities in Bergamo?
- As a foreigner living in Bergamo, will I have access to public healthcare? What is it like?
- What have your experiences during the pandemic with the local healthcare system been like?