Last updated on Jul 11, 2023
Summary: Expats, digital nomads and retirees talk about what it is really like living in Taormina, Italy. They offer advice about meeting people, cost of living, finding a home and more.
What do I need to know about living in Taormina?
When we asked people what advice they would give someone preparing to move to Taormina, they said:
"Expats considering retirement in Taormina, should be aware that the cost of living can be high, especially in comparison to other parts of Italy. They should also know that while English is spoken in many tourist areas, learning Italian can greatly enhance their experience and make daily life easier. Healthcare in Italy is of a high standard, but expats should ensure they have comprehensive health insurance. It's also important to understand the Italian tax system, as Italy has a double taxation agreement with many countries, which could affect retirees' income. Expats should also be aware that Taormina is a popular tourist destination, which can make the city crowded during peak tourist season. The city's infrastructure is also more traditional, which may pose accessibility issues for some retirees. Understanding the local culture and customs is crucial for a smooth transition. Italians value family, food, and a slower pace of life, which can be a significant change for expats from fast-paced cultures. Finally, expats should know that buying property in Italy can be a complex process with many legal requirements. It's recommended to hire a local, English-speaking solicitor to help navigate this process," said one expat in Taormina.
What do I need to know before moving to Taormina?
About the Author
Betsy Burlingame is the Founder and President of Expat Exchange and is one of the Founders of Digital Nomad Exchange. She launched Expat Exchange in 1997 as her Master's thesis project at NYU. Prior to Expat Exchange, Betsy worked at AT&T in International and Mass Market Marketing. She graduated from Ohio Wesleyan University with a BA in International Business and German.
Some of Betsy's articles include 12 Best Places to Live in Portugal, 7 Best Places to Live in Panama and 12 Things to Know Before Moving to the Dominican Republic. Betsy loves to travel and spend time with her family. Connect with Betsy on LinkedIn.
- What do I need to know before moving to Taormina?
- What is a typical expat home or apartment like in Taormina?
- What is the average cost of housing in Taormina?
- How do I meet people in Taormina?
- What do I need to know before retiring in Taormina?
- What should I pack when moving to Taormina?
- Where should I setup a bank account in Taormina?
- Will I be able to find a job in Taormina?
- What is life like as an expat in your area?
- What do people like (and dislike) about Taormina?
- What type of social life can someone expect in Taormina?
- What is the social scene like in Taormina?
- What advice to expats in Taormina have about housing?
- What are medical services in Taormina like?
- Are healthcare and health insurance expensive in Taormina?
- Is the cost of living in Taormina high?
- What are the visa & residency requirements in Taormina?
- Why do people move to Taormina?