Last updated on Jul 10, 2023
Summary: Expats, digital nomads and retirees talk about what it is really like living in Bukit Timah, Singapore. They offer advice about meeting people, cost of living, finding a home and more.
What do I need to know before moving to Bukit Timah?
When we asked people what advice they would give someone preparing to move to Bukit Timah, they said:
"Bukit Timah is a residential area known for its high-end housing and elite schools. It is one of the most expensive districts in Singapore, so expats should be prepared for a high cost of living. The area is home to many international schools, making it a popular choice for expat families with children. Bukit Timah is also known for its green spaces, including the Bukit Timah Nature Reserve, which offers hiking and nature trails. The area is well-connected to the rest of Singapore by public transportation, but traffic can be heavy during peak hours. English is widely spoken in Singapore, but learning some basic phrases in Mandarin or Malay could be beneficial. The food in Bukit Timah is diverse, with a wide range of cuisines available, from local hawker fare to high-end restaurants. Healthcare in Singapore is of a high standard, but it can be expensive, so expats should ensure they have adequate health insurance. The climate in Singapore is tropical, with high humidity and temperatures throughout the year. Singapore has strict laws and penalties, including for littering and chewing gum, so expats should familiarize themselves with local laws. Finally, while Singapore is generally safe, it's still important to take standard precautions to protect personal safety and belongings," wrote one member in Bukit Timah.
How do I find a place to live in Bukit Timah?
About the Author
Betsy Burlingame is the Founder and President of Expat Exchange and is one of the Founders of Digital Nomad Exchange. She launched Expat Exchange in 1997 as her Master's thesis project at NYU. Prior to Expat Exchange, Betsy worked at AT&T in International and Mass Market Marketing. She graduated from Ohio Wesleyan University with a BA in International Business and German.
Some of Betsy's articles include 12 Best Places to Live in Portugal, 7 Best Places to Live in Panama and 12 Things to Know Before Moving to the Dominican Republic. Betsy loves to travel and spend time with her family. Connect with Betsy on LinkedIn.
- What should I pack when moving to Bukit Timah?
- Where should I setup a bank account in Bukit Timah?
- Will I be able to find a job in Bukit Timah?
- What is life like as an expat in your area?
- What do expats in Bukit Timah appreciate most about the local culture?
- What do expats find most challenging?
- Is there a lot of crime in Bukit Timah?
- Is there a lot of diversity? Are people in Bukit Timah accepting of differences?
- What are the schools in Bukit Timah like?
- How are healthcare services in Bukit Timah?
- What are medical services in Bukit Timah like?
- Are healthcare and health insurance expensive in Bukit Timah?
- What are emergency services like in Bukit Timah?
- Will I need to travel to see a specialist?
- Are common prescription medications available in Bukit Timah?
- How are local medical facilities in Bukit Timah?
- As a foreigner living in Bukit Timah, will I have access to public healthcare? What is it like?
- What have your experiences during the pandemic with the local healthcare system been like?