Last updated on Jul 04, 2023
Summary: Expats, digital nomads and retirees talk about what it is really like living in Lucea, Jamaica. They offer advice about meeting people, cost of living, finding a home and more.
What do I need to know about living in Lucea?
When we asked people what advice they would give someone preparing to move to Lucea, they said:
"Before retiring in Lucea, expats should know that the cost of living is generally lower than in many western countries, but it can vary depending on lifestyle. They should also be aware that healthcare facilities may not be as advanced as in their home country, so it's important to have a good health insurance plan. Expats should also know that the official language is English, but Patois, a Creole language that is a mix of English and African languages, is widely spoken. Therefore, learning some Patois phrases could be beneficial. Understanding the local culture and customs is also important. Jamaicans are known for their friendliness and hospitality, but they also value respect and good manners. Expats should also be aware of the local climate. Lucea has a tropical climate, with hot and humid weather throughout the year and a rainy season from May to November. Safety is another important consideration. While Lucea is generally safe, like any other place, it has its share of crime. Expats should take standard precautions such as avoiding certain areas at night and not displaying wealth openly. Finally, expats should know that the process of buying property can be complex and time-consuming. It's recommended to hire a local attorney to help navigate the legal system. In terms of transportation, while public transportation is available, it may not be as reliable or comfortable as expats are used to. Many expats choose to rent or buy a car for convenience. Lastly, expats should be aware that while Jamaica has a lot to offer in terms of natural beauty and cultural experiences, it also has its challenges, including occasional power outages and water shortages. Therefore, it's important to be adaptable and patient," said one expat who made the move to Lucea.
What do I need to know before moving to Lucea?
About the Author
Betsy Burlingame is the Founder and President of Expat Exchange and is one of the Founders of Digital Nomad Exchange. She launched Expat Exchange in 1997 as her Master's thesis project at NYU. Prior to Expat Exchange, Betsy worked at AT&T in International and Mass Market Marketing. She graduated from Ohio Wesleyan University with a BA in International Business and German.
Some of Betsy's articles include 12 Best Places to Live in Portugal, 7 Best Places to Live in Panama and 12 Things to Know Before Moving to the Dominican Republic. Betsy loves to travel and spend time with her family. Connect with Betsy on LinkedIn.
- What do I need to know before moving to Lucea?
- What is a typical expat home or apartment like in Lucea?
- What is the average cost of housing in Lucea?
- How do I meet people in Lucea?
- What do I need to know before retiring in Lucea?
- What should I pack when moving to Lucea?
- Where should I setup a bank account in Lucea?
- Will I be able to find a job in Lucea?
- What is life like as an expat in your area?
- What do people like (and dislike) about Lucea?
- What type of social life can someone expect in Lucea?
- What is the social scene like in Lucea?
- What advice to expats in Lucea have about housing?
- What are medical services in Lucea like?
- Are healthcare and health insurance expensive in Lucea?
- Is the cost of living in Lucea high?
- What are the visa & residency requirements in Lucea?
- Why do people move to Lucea?