Last updated on Apr 22, 2023
Summary: People describe Peniche, Portugal as a beautiful coastal town with stunning beaches, a vibrant culture, and a laid-back atmosphere. Expats love the relaxed lifestyle, the friendly locals, and the abundance of outdoor activities. The weather in Peniche is mild, with temperatures ranging from the mid-50s to the mid-70s Fahrenheit. The average cost of living for an expat is around $1,500 per month. The cost of a one bedroom apartment is around $500 per month, while a two bedroom apartment is around $700 per month. The approximate population of Peniche is around 15,000 people.
What do I need to know about living in Peniche?
When we asked people what advice they would give someone preparing to move to Peniche, they said:
"Before retiring in Peniche, expats should be aware that the cost of living is relatively low compared to other parts of Europe. Additionally, the climate is mild and sunny, with temperatures rarely dropping below 10°C in the winter. Expats should also be aware that the local language is Portuguese, so it is important to learn some of the language before moving to Peniche. Furthermore, Peniche is a small town, so it is important to research the local amenities and services available before making the move. Finally, Peniche is a great place to retire, with plenty of activities and attractions to keep retirees busy," commented one expat who made the move to Peniche.
What do I need to know before moving to Peniche?
About the Author
Betsy Burlingame is the Founder and President of Expat Exchange and is one of the Founders of Digital Nomad Exchange. She launched Expat Exchange in 1997 as her Master's thesis project at NYU. Prior to Expat Exchange, Betsy worked at AT&T in International and Mass Market Marketing. She graduated from Ohio Wesleyan University with a BA in International Business and German.
Some of Betsy's articles include 12 Best Places to Live in Portugal, 7 Best Places to Live in Panama and 12 Things to Know Before Moving to the Dominican Republic. Betsy loves to travel and spend time with her family. Connect with Betsy on LinkedIn.
- What should I pack when moving to Peniche?
- Where should I setup a bank account in Peniche?
- Will I be able to find a job in Peniche?
- What is life like as an expat in your area?
- What do expats in Peniche appreciate most about the local culture?
- What do expats find most challenging?
- Is there a lot of crime in Peniche?
- Is there a lot of diversity? Are people in Peniche accepting of differences?
- What are the schools in Peniche like?
- How are healthcare services Peniche?
- What are medical services in Peniche like?
- Are healthcare and health insurance expensive in Peniche?
- What are emergency services like in Peniche?
- Will I need to travel to see a specialist?
- Are common prescription medications available in Peniche?
- How are local medical facilities in Peniche?
- As a foreigner living in Peniche, will I have access to public healthcare? What is it like?
- What have your experiences during the pandemic with the local healthcare system been like?