Expat Guide to Living in India
Whether you're already living in India or preparing to move to India, our Expat Guide to Living in India offers articles and reports submitted by expats about expat life in India. For answers to specific questions, visit our India Forum to talk with expats in India.
Job Webster of A1 Auto Transport offers tips for shipping a car to India.
Expats in India advise finding an apartment building or home with a backup generator, hiring a driver and adapting to Indian food.
One woman shares her story of returning to her native India from a 15 year life in San Francisco. Would her kids adjust to the new lifestyle? Would it be a good transition for them?
Anamika Majumder, the founder of One Billion Literates, explores the values that unify India, a nation increasingly divided by extreme wealth and extreme poverty.
What is it like to move from Canada to Mumbai, India when the wheels of government don't turn the way you would like them to? This Expat Culture-Shock Report provides a window into that experience.
A mom who relocated to Gurgaon, India talks about the challenges of living in Gurgaon. She finds that there's a lack out outdoor space to walk and play. Plus, numerous locals on the street have picked up and touched her 4 year old daughter without permission, which has increased her and her daughter's anxiety when out in public. She now finds herself swatting away people on the street.
Do your homework when searching for your home. Is there a generator? Are the air conditioners connected to it? Is the water safe to drink? Check out the neighbors, the guards, mold issues and more.
More Culture Shock Reports for India
Culture shock is part of the settling in process. Knowing the different phases of culture shock and how other expats in India handle it can be very comforting. Below are some of the responses from expats in India:
Submit a Culture Shock Report
Submit a Living Overseas Report
More Living in India Reports
What are people's priorities in India - work? family? What are the best ways to meet other expats? Are people accepting of racial, cultural and religious differences? Below are some of the responses from expats in India:
Submit a Moving Overseas Report
More Moving to India Reports
What should you take with you when you move to India? What should you leave behind? What type of housing and neighborhoods are typical for expats in India? Below are some of the responses from expats in India:
Reviews of Schools in India
Reviews and school profiles from expat parents and even a few school administrators in India. Great place to find insight into school facilities, teachers and curriculum. Below are some of the reviews from expats in India:
Submit an International School Review
- Mahatma Gandhi International School in Ahmedabad, India
- NAFL in BANGALORE, India
- Menega in Bangalore, India
- Manish in Bangalore, India
- Bangalore International School BIS in Bangalore, India
- British International School in Bangalore, India
- INDUS International School in Bangalore, India
- Canadian International School in Bangalore, India
- Bangalore International School in Bangalore, India
- Trio World School in Bangalore, India
- sushanth in Bangalore, India
- Stonehill International School, Bangalore in Bangalore, India
- TREAMIS World School in Bangalore, India
- Mastery International School Bangalore in Bangalore, India
- Bridges School in Hyderabad, India
- Oakridge International School - India in Hyderabad, Bangalore, Vishakapatnam, India
- Global Public School in Kochi, India
- Kodaikanal International School in Kodaikanal, India
- Woodstock School in Mussoorie, India
- AES Delhi in New Delhi, India
- Lexicon International School in Pune, India
- The Lexicon International School in Pune, India
- Oakridge International School in Visakhapatnam, Andhrapradesh, India
Dream vs. Reality Report
Most expats have have "dreams" (and fears) about the expatriate experience before they moved to India. If you are already living in India, share how those "dreams" have been fulfilled, and how they have not by filling out our Dream vs. Reality Report.
Submit a Dream vs. Reality Report
Overseas Retirement Report
Retiring abroad can be a great option for retirees seeking their dream lifestyle at an affordable price. Help other retirees, who are thinking about retiring in India by taking our Overseas Retirement report.
Submit a Retire Abroad Report
Working Abroad Report
What's it like to find a job in India? How difficult was it to obtain a work permit? What types are jobs are typical for expats in India? Help others following in your footsteps by filling out our Working Abroad Report.
Submit a Working Abroad Report
Repatriating to India: Boston Ave to Devarabeesanahalli
Anamika Majumder was a newlywed Indian expat living in Boston who attended graduate school, entered the business world and raised two young children. She and her husband ultimately decided to repatriate to India to raise their children in their home country. She describes their return to Bangalore and how she decided to start a Bangalore based non profit charitable trust called One Billion Literates Foundation.