What is the name of the city or town that you are reporting on?
Name three things that you wish you had brought and three you wish you had left at home.
1. Bring Everything you can from undies to electronics. Everything is crazy expensive.
2. Bring some winter clothing, ski holidays to Chile are a great escape.
3. Bring Electric Mattress pads, blankets and heaters. There is no heating in Brazilian homes and it gets very cold in the winter. All buildings are cement and the winter is cold and humid.
1. Leave Nothing
Moving to Brazil
Moving to Brazil soon? AGS Worldwide Movers is a leader in the international moving industry. Their experience and expertise allows them to guarantee their clients the best quality moving services. Get a moving quote today.
What advice would you give someone preparing to move to your area about the actual move, choosing a neighborhood and finding a home?
I am sorry to say that after 14 years in Brazil my advise would be don't move, please reconsider. As my dentist (Brazilian) recently said, "Sao Paulo is a cruel city". I hear his comments with a heavy heart. I have grown to love Brazil but the prices, lack of infrastructure, noise, traffic and now protests and violence have taken their toll.
What type of housing do you live in? Is this typical for most expats in your area?
I live in an apartment. I cannot recommend a house due to security concerns. None of my Brazilian coworkers live in single family homes and my employeer recommends against it. Almost all apartments are built for families not for singles.
How did you choose your neighborhood and find your home or apartment?
I choose Jardins because it is one of the few places where you can walk to the pharmacy, supermarket ect. The downside is that I spend 3 yes three hours a day to and from the office (7 km each way).. My office is in a commercial area and living there would be depressing.
Expats in Brazil may get a free expat health insurance quote from our partner Allianz Care, whose plans ensure that you have access to quality healthcare whenever you need it. Allianz's flexible solutions allow you to tailor your cover to meet your needs and budget.
Get a Quote
Expats in Brazil may get a free expat health insurance quote from our partner Allianz Care, a leader in international insurance for expatriates. Allianz's plans ensure that you have access to quality healthcare whenever you need it. Their flexible solutions allow you to tailor your cover to meet your needs and budget..
Are your housing costs higher or lower than they were in your home country? What is the average cost of housing there?
If moving to Sao Paulo know that prices are out of control and that there are lots of hidden costs to renting. I am from Chicago, where I lived in Lincoln Park.
1. Rent, a 2 bedroom apt in Jardins(200 sq meters) will run about BRL 8000/mo.
2. The Next biggest cost is the Condo fee which everyone must pay, about BRL 2000/mo.
3. Next there is the IPTU or the property tax in Jardins expect to pay BRL 600/mo.
4. Then of course you need insurance, expect to pay BRL 250/mo.