Moving to Panama
Last updated on Sep 23, 2023
Summary: Expats and digital nomads move to Panama for its low cost of living, warm climate, and friendly people. Additionally, Panama offers a variety of activities and attractions, making it an attractive destination for those looking to explore a new culture. People can find a place to live in Panama by searching online for rental properties, or by contacting a real estate agent. The most popular cities for expats and digital nomads in Panama are Panama City, Boquete, and Bocas del Toro. These cities offer a variety of amenities, activities, and attractions, making them ideal for those looking to experience the culture and lifestyle of Panama.
What do I need to know before moving to Panama?
When we asked people what advice they would give someone preparing to move to Panama, they said:
"We visited here many times before moving and stayed in different areas each time. There are 13 micro-climates here and they vary greatly. Some roads are not good so that may play into housing decisions too. Temperatures vary, even 5 minutes away can make a big difference. There are also areas that get extremely windy in Jan-Feb. Rent before buying," remarked one expat in Boquete, Panama.
"Rent first before you buy. Your paradise today may not be what you will think in 6 months. Brings essentials and sell everything else, you can get it cheaper here," said one expat in Bocas del Toro.
How do I find a place to live in Panama?
About the Author
Joshua Wood, LPC joined Expat Exchange in 2000 and serves as one of its Co-Presidents. He is also one of the Founders of Digital Nomad Exchange. Prior to Expat Exchange, Joshua worked for NBC Cable (MSNBC and CNBC Primetime). Joshua has a BA from Syracuse and a Master's in Clinical and Counseling Psychology from Fairleigh Dickinson University. Mr. Wood is also a licensed counselor and psychotherapist.
- What do I need to know before moving to Panama?
- How do I find a place to live in Panama?
- What is a typical expat home or apartment like in Panama?
- What is the average cost of housing in Panama?
- Should I buy or rent a home in Panama?
- What should I pack when moving to Panama?
- What cultural faux pas should I try to avoid making in Panama?
- Why do people move to Panama?
- How are healthcare services Panama?
- What are medical services in Panama like?
- What are typical rents in Panama?
- What appliances are typically included in a rental?