Living in Oman
Last updated on Apr 03, 2023
Summary: The approximate population of Oman is 4.6 million people. The largest cities in Oman are Muscat, Salalah, Sohar, and Nizwa. Expats love living in Oman for its diverse culture, friendly people, and stunning landscapes. People describe life in Oman as peaceful, relaxed, and safe. Popular foods in Oman include seafood, rice, and flatbreads. Popular dishes include shuwa, a slow-cooked meat dish, and harees, a wheat porridge. The cons of living in Oman include the lack of public transportation, the hot climate, and the limited nightlife. The average cost of living for an expat is around $1,500 to $2,000 per month. This includes rent, utilities, food, and other expenses.
What do I need to know about living in Oman?
When we asked people what advice they would give someone preparing to move to Oman, they said:
"Before retiring in Oman, expats should be aware of the country's culture and customs. It is important to research the local laws and regulations, as well as the cost of living. Expats should also consider the availability of healthcare and other services, such as banking and transportation. Additionally, expats should be aware of the climate in Oman, as it can be very hot and humid in the summer months. Finally, expats should be aware of the visa requirements for retirement in Oman," wrote a member in Oman.
"Bring a lot of humor & an open mind. Do come because it's a fantastic experience and they have the most beautiful beaches I've ever seen. This town is changing quickly and if you want to see a bit of it's original culture you need to be here now and not in 10 years time," commented one expat who made the move to Salalah.
How do I meet people in Oman?
About the Author
Betsy Burlingame is the Founder and President of Expat Exchange and is one of the Founders of Digital Nomad Exchange. She launched Expat Exchange in 1997 as her Master's thesis project at NYU. Prior to Expat Exchange, Betsy worked at AT&T in International and Mass Market Marketing. She graduated from Ohio Wesleyan University with a BA in International Business and German.
Some of Betsy's articles include 12 Best Places to Live in Portugal, 7 Best Places to Live in Panama and 12 Things to Know Before Moving to the Dominican Republic. Betsy loves to travel and spend time with her family. Connect with Betsy on LinkedIn.
- What should I pack when moving to Oman?
- Where should I setup a bank account in Oman?
- Will I be able to find a job in Oman?
- What is life like as an expat in your area?
- What do expats in Oman appreciate most about the local culture?
- What do expats find most challenging?
- Is there a lot of crime in Oman?
- Is there a lot of diversity? Are people in Oman accepting of differences?
- What are the schools in Oman like?
- How are healthcare services in Oman?
- What are medical services in Oman like?
- Are healthcare and health insurance expensive in Oman?
- What are emergency services like in Oman?
- Will I need to travel to see a specialist?
- Are common prescription medications available in Oman?
- How are local medical facilities in Oman?
- As a foreigner living in Oman, will I have access to public healthcare? What is it like?
- What have your experiences during the pandemic with the local healthcare system been like?