Living in Kuwait
Last updated on Jun 10, 2023
Summary: People generally describe life in Kuwait as modern, luxurious, and safe. Expats love the high quality of life, the low cost of living, and the friendly people. The average cost of living for an expat is around $1,500 per month, depending on lifestyle. The population of Kuwait is estimated to be 4.5 million, with the largest cities being Kuwait City, Al Ahmadi, and Hawalli. The cons of living in Kuwait include the hot climate, the lack of public transportation, and the strict laws and regulations. Additionally, the cost of living can be high for expats, and the job market is competitive.
What do I need to know about living in Kuwait?
When we asked people what advice they would give someone preparing to move to Kuwait, they said:
"It may be difficult in the beginning, but once you adapt you will not want to leave..," remarked one expat who made the move to Kuwait City.
"Learn about the religion and traditions because you could easily offend someone or be offended. Check if your necessities are available in Kuwait e.g. certain products, books, food," explained one expat living in Kuwait City, Kuwait.
How do I meet people in Kuwait?
About the Author
Joshua Wood, LPC joined Expat Exchange in 2000 and serves as one of its Co-Presidents. He is also one of the Founders of Digital Nomad Exchange. Prior to Expat Exchange, Joshua worked for NBC Cable (MSNBC and CNBC Primetime). Joshua has a BA from Syracuse and a Master's in Clinical and Counseling Psychology from Fairleigh Dickinson University. Mr. Wood is also a licensed counselor and psychotherapist.
- What do I need to know before moving to Kuwait?
- How do I find a place to live in Kuwait?
- What is a typical expat home or apartment like in Kuwait?
- What is the average cost of housing in Kuwait?
- Should I buy or rent a home in Kuwait?
- What should I pack when moving to Kuwait?
- What cultural faux pas should I try to avoid making in Kuwait?
- Why do people move to Kuwait?
- How are healthcare services Kuwait?
- What are medical services in Kuwait like?
- What are typical rents in Kuwait?
- What appliances are typically included in a rental?