15 Expats Talk about Health Insurance and Healthcare in Switzerland
Last updated on Jun 19, 2023
Summary: The quality of medical care in Switzerland is generally considered to be excellent. Switzerland has a well-developed healthcare system that provides comprehensive coverage for its citizens. The country has a high number of doctors and nurses per capita, and the quality of care is generally considered to be on par with that of the United States. Emergency services in Switzerland are also highly efficient and reliable. In the event of an emergency, you can call the emergency number 144 to request an ambulance.
How are healthcare services Switzerland?
When we asked expats and global nomads about the quality of medical care in Switzerland, they replied:
"Healthcare services in Switzerland are provided by both public and private providers. The public healthcare system is funded by taxes and is available to all Swiss citizens and permanent residents. The quality of public healthcare is generally high, with a wide range of services available, including primary care, specialist care, hospital care, and preventive care. Foreign residents are also eligible for public healthcare, although they may need to pay a fee for some services. Expats in Switzerland can use the public healthcare system, but they may need to pay a fee for some services. They may also choose to purchase private health insurance, which can provide additional coverage," mentioned one expat in Switzerland.
What are medical services in Switzerland like?
About the Author
Betsy Burlingame is the Founder and President of Expat Exchange and is one of the Founders of Digital Nomad Exchange. She launched Expat Exchange in 1997 as her Master's thesis project at NYU. Prior to Expat Exchange, Betsy worked at AT&T in International and Mass Market Marketing. She graduated from Ohio Wesleyan University with a BA in International Business and German.
Some of Betsy's articles include 12 Best Places to Live in Portugal, 7 Best Places to Live in Panama and 12 Things to Know Before Moving to the Dominican Republic. Betsy loves to travel and spend time with her family. Connect with Betsy on LinkedIn.
- What do I need to know before moving to Switzerland?
- How do I find a place to live in Switzerland?
- What is a typical expat home or apartment like in Switzerland?
- What is the average cost of housing in Switzerland?
- Should I buy or rent a home in Switzerland?
- What should I pack when moving to Switzerland?
- What cultural faux pas should I try to avoid making in Switzerland?
- Why do people move to Switzerland?
- How are healthcare services Switzerland?
- What are medical services in Switzerland like?
- What are typical rents in Switzerland?
- What appliances are typically included in a rental?