15 Expats Talk about Health Insurance and Healthcare in Denmark
Last updated on Feb 21, 2023
Summary: The quality of medical care in Denmark is generally considered to be very high, with a strong emphasis on preventative care. Denmark has a universal healthcare system, which means that all citizens are entitled to free healthcare services. In comparison to the US, Denmark has a lower rate of infant mortality, a higher life expectancy, and a lower rate of chronic diseases. Emergency services in Denmark are well-developed and efficient. In the event of an emergency, you can call 112 for an ambulance. The ambulance will be dispatched to your location and will provide medical care on the way to the hospital.
How are healthcare services Denmark?
When we asked expats and global nomads about the quality of medical care in Denmark, they replied:
"Denmark offers a comprehensive healthcare system that is funded by the government and is available to all citizens and foreign residents. The public healthcare system in Denmark is of high quality and provides a wide range of services, including preventive care, primary care, specialist care, hospital care, and mental health services. All Danish citizens and foreign residents are eligible to receive healthcare services through the public system, and expats in Denmark can use the public healthcare system by registering with a local doctor and paying a small fee. Expats can also purchase private health insurance to cover additional services not provided by the public system," wrote an expat living in Denmark.
What are medical services in Denmark like?
About the Author
Joshua Wood, LPC joined Expat Exchange in 2000 and serves as one of its Co-Presidents. He is also one of the Founders of Digital Nomad Exchange. Prior to Expat Exchange, Joshua worked for NBC Cable (MSNBC and CNBC Primetime). Joshua has a BA from Syracuse and a Master's in Clinical and Counseling Psychology from Fairleigh Dickinson University. Mr. Wood is also a licensed counselor and psychotherapist.
- What do I need to know before moving to Denmark?
- How do I find a place to live in Denmark?
- What is a typical expat home or apartment like in Denmark?
- What is the average cost of housing in Denmark?
- Should I buy or rent a home in Denmark?
- What should I pack when moving to Denmark?
- What cultural faux pas should I try to avoid making in Denmark?
- Why do people move to Denmark?
- How are healthcare services in Denmark?
- What are medical services in Denmark like?
- What are typical rents in Denmark?
- What appliances are typically included in a rental?